Batten Holder Wiring

Ok, I have some Clipsal brand batten holders and I am trying to work out which terminal is Active and which one is Neutral.

Now I have successfully wired up batten holders in the past but they were different!

This time the terminals are set out differently and I haven't been able to find out online how they are supposed to be wired up. They didn't come with instructions either. Never come across one that has to be honest.

So. I am now looking for help.

In some circumstances I would go with trial and error, but since this is 240 volts, I'm not so keen on that method. :bongon:

Here be a pic of the terminals. Sorry, it's a lil blurry... :drunk:

post-12138-1211818252_thumb.jpg

As you might be able to see, the top left terminal is marked green which is Earth.

The top right terminal is marked LOOP, I know I won't be needing to worry bout this one as it is for a one light/two switch set up.

That just leaves the two terminals close together at the bottom....

There is no markings to indicate which is Active and which is Neutral.

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

:peace:

~Rose.

Ok, I have some Clipsal brand batten holders and I am trying to work out which terminal is Active and which one is Neutral.

Now I have successfully wired up batten holders in the past but they were different!

This time the terminals are set out differently and I haven't been able to find out online how they are supposed to be wired up. They didn't come with instructions either. Never come across one that has to be honest.

So. I am now looking for help.

In some circumstances I would go with trial and error, but since this is 240 volts, I'm not so keen on that method. :bongon:

Here be a pic of the terminals. Sorry, it's a lil blurry... :drunk:

post-12138-1211818252_thumb.jpg

As you might be able to see, the top left terminal is marked green which is Earth.

The top right terminal is marked LOOP, I know I won't be needing to worry bout this one as it is for a one light/two switch set up.

That just leaves the two terminals close together at the bottom....

There is no markings to indicate which is Active and which is Neutral.

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

:peace:

~Rose.

Hi Rose,

If you have a multi meter you can find out what terminal connects to the loop by checking between the loop terminal and the bottom two terminals one at a time and that will be you active. If you don't have a multi meter can you take the cover off to see what terminal connects to the loop? Whatever terminal connects to the loop that will be your active. On the other hand if you are not using the loop then it doesn't really matter which terminal you use as the holder is stand alone. Hope that makes some sense. It is a lot easier to show rather than tell.

Cheers

brick

good to see its all sorted rose...

most fittings will have little colours as to where the wires go...

a red or brown... or an A for the active wire

a black or blue.. or an N for the neutral wire

a green/yellow.. or an E for the earth...

the loop wire is the only one that would be left.. usually with a L for loop on it...

No worries Brick, thanks for the reply but it's all sorted now. :peace:

Problem solvered as some would say! ^_- :drunk:

:D

~Rose.

Glad you got it sorted Rose. Just got in from work and reread my previous post and thought it didn't make much sense. These companies that make these products should be made to A N E on them as there are a few people who are colour blind who try and wire these things up and like you said electricity is an invisible killer. Thats why they started putting green with yellow stripes on earth cable so people would know not to put it into the wrong hole. :bongon:

I've had a bitch over similar brick, and was told they do it intentionally to stop amateurs from playing with their own wiring. But my uncle's been an alectrician all his life, almost ready to retire, and he was standing next to me and had a thing or two to say about the bloody inconvenience too :drunk: .

So is the upshot that so long as you don't go poking the positive or active into an earth hole, you can't damage anything?

This is what I always thought, but I would be fucked without the instructions, and is something I've wondered about a fair bit.

I should phone my uncle, haven't called him for yonks...Every time I call he reckons he gets ulcers..."hey uncle, can I wire this to this, and hook that to it with this at the end?" kinda questions all the time :bongon:.

cheers

rob

good to see its all sorted rose...

most fittings will have little colours as to where the wires go...

a red or brown... or an A for the active wire

a black or blue.. or an N for the neutral wire

a green/yellow.. or an E for the earth...

the loop wire is the only one that would be left.. usually with a L for loop on it...

I am yet to find one that has all three terminals marked.

I've only ever come across ones with the Earth marked... :drunk:

But is all good now.

I am fitting and wiring up the batten holders tomorrow and then my drobe will have lights! :peace:

Glad you got it sorted Rose. Just got in from work and reread my previous post and thought it didn't make much sense. These companies that make these products should be made to A N E on them as there are a few people who are colour blind who try and wire these things up and like you said electricity is an invisible killer. Thats why they started putting green with yellow stripes on earth cable so people would know not to put it into the wrong hole. :bongon:

I agree. All batten holders should come with ALL the terminals marked.

Granted, it is only electricians that should be playing with this stuff, but there are plenty of people out there that use them and they AREN'T sparkys...

Me being one of them! ^_-

I have often thought about going to TAFE and doing the studies to get into the sparky trade, but with my back n other problems, I would be very very restricted in the work I would be able to do! :(

Meh.

Is all good.

:D

~Rose.

I've had a bitch over similar brick, and was told they do it intentionally to stop amateurs from playing with their own wiring. But my uncle's been an alectrician all his life, almost ready to retire, and he was standing next to me and had a thing or two to say about the bloody inconvenience too :drunk: .

So is the upshot that so long as you don't go poking the positive or active into an earth hole, you can't damage anything?

This is what I always thought, but I would be fucked without the instructions, and is something I've wondered about a fair bit.

I should phone my uncle, haven't called him for yonks...Every time I call he reckons he gets ulcers..."hey uncle, can I wire this to this, and hook that to it with this at the end?" kinda questions all the time :peace:.

cheers

rob

Problem is amateurs still keep doing it themselves Rob. Always will. Why call a sparky to fit a new power point or light fitting when you can go to Bunnings and buy the stuff and try and do it yourself. Same as plumbing all the stuff is there in the hardware stores. It is like smoking they still sell smokes but want you to QUIT. I am lucky as my trade is commercial refrigeration and only qualified tradies can do it, as you need a licence to buy the refrigeration gas. I empathise with your uncle. The last time I was in Qld on hols visited my uncle and he wants me to fix his bar frig. So I had a quick look and said yeah its fucked buy a new one. :bongon: You do have to be carefull with wiring though, if you reverse the polarity and get a short it won't blow the circuit breaker and it will make a frig or air con or w/machine or clothes dryer live and that can be nasty. Especially if it is an old house with old fuse board. ^_-

I am yet to find one that has all three terminals marked.

I've only ever come across ones with the Earth marked... :drunk:

But is all good now.

I am fitting and wiring up the batten holders tomorrow and then my drobe will have lights! :peace:

I agree. All batten holders should come with ALL the terminals marked.

Granted, it is only electricians that should be playing with this stuff, but there are plenty of people out there that use them and they AREN'T sparkys...

Me being one of them! ^_-

I have often thought about going to TAFE and doing the studies to get into the sparky trade, but with my back n other problems, I would be very very restricted in the work I would be able to do! :(

Meh.

Is all good.

:bongon:

~Rose.

Maybe you could do a theory course online Rose. :D