Why do we trim?

Why do we trim leaves?

Well I reckon that it stems from the past when we used to say to the dealer// "What? You want all that money for leaf?!"

and he'd say "but it is head leaf"

hmm

OK it is really because of the tannins present. Have you ever tried to smoke tea?

So what do you do with your trimmings?

I make tea out of mine. :applause:

Which parts do I smoke? https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...&pid=193260

If you want to see that image more clearly.. PM me

Edited by gouger

Great way to deal withthe little buds mate. I was just last night picking through some, and recalling a bloke had rolled some up in paper, and after a while, unrolled them to look something like a buddah stick (not exactly) from years ago. More like the silly lumps of bud in a cheech and chong flick if u remember them, the one called "nice dreams". Remember how they rolled the bud to go into the ice cream containers?

I was just going to roll them up tight in paper, but I'm not sure how to store them. I air tight jars? In the fridge? I alwyas used to make hash out of trim, but I don't have the equipment anymore. When I get a few bux, I'll buy some bubble bags or somthing.

I'll Pm you, I've been meaning to get back with ya on that other point we talked about. I want to know more about how to take side cuttings too..

Might be a few days, feelin pretty crook right now, but I'll be in your pm box soon mate.

thanks for everything

rob

PS. Have u ever tried cell division in petrie dish sterile containers?

I was talking with a chineese fela over the net who invented a shceme that uises plastic bags, sterlaised. he hangs them on racks. Reckons he looses a small percentage to infections, but the cost and sheer weight of numbers able to be used in his system allows for the losses.

I couldn't go very far forward with it all, i rent, and I would have had to build a greenhouse or similar and devoted it entriely to what was going on, andit's not at all cheap . but once set up, any plant can be multiplied by the hundreds with the tiniest of a slice. i was originally thinking of using it to multiply difficult Australian native p[lants that retail for a small fortune each, but somoene's doing it now anyway, not that I could ever compete of course.

Kangaroo paws, knock them out by the thousands now, just one mother plant, and these plastic bag things..

Have u been involved with this kinda technique?

Great way to deal withthe little buds mate. I was just last night picking through some, and recalling a bloke had rolled some up in paper, and after a while, unrolled them to look something like a buddah stick (not exactly) from years ago. More like the silly lumps of bud in a cheech and chong flick if u remember them, the one called "nice dreams". Remember how they rolled the bud to go into the ice cream containers?

I was just going to roll them up tight in paper, but I'm not sure how to store them. I air tight jars? In the fridge? I alwyas used to make hash out of trim, but I don't have the equipment anymore. When I get a few bux, I'll buy some bubble bags or somthing.

I'll Pm you, I've been meaning to get back with ya on that other point we talked about. I want to know more about how to take side cuttings too..

Might be a few days, feelin pretty crook right now, but I'll be in your pm box soon mate.

thanks for everything

rob

PS. Have u ever tried cell division in petrie dish sterile containers?

I was talking with a chineese fela over the net who invented a shceme that uises plastic bags, sterlaised. he hangs them on racks. Reckons he looses a small percentage to infections, but the cost and sheer weight of numbers able to be used in his system allows for the losses.

I couldn't go very far forward with it all, i rent, and I would have had to build a greenhouse or similar and devoted it entriely to what was going on, andit's not at all cheap . but once set up, any plant can be multiplied by the hundreds with the tiniest of a slice. i was originally thinking of using it to multiply difficult Australian native p[lants that retail for a small fortune each, but somoene's doing it now anyway, not that I could ever compete of course.

Kangaroo paws, knock them out by the thousands now, just one mother plant, and these plastic bag things..

Have u been involved with this kinda technique?

one way to fix trimming buds big or small is to buy the vegetable trimmer the mafia use.. I can get it if I want for a grand a day.. huh? who would pay that to trim dope? well they must be out there .. if I am aware of the price.

Re rolling up tight:

This is a science in tself.. I can tell you stories of turning a kilo to grey powder and more if you want but i can also share my learnings from experience. I will do so but this is a subject for another thread. Again..how to store it is another subject .. please point me to any existing threads.

Yes packing the buds just so.. allows you to freeze them in time for at least two years.. the first step in having a constant supply.

Making hash? well if you acheive what I did you will have hash on your fingers. The more of those you make the more hash will be on your fingers.

No need for petrie dishes .. you can grow cuttings in a mug or any drinking glass.

Edited by gouger

I see we got our wish and have our own thread now.

Yes meristem cloning can be used as a method of propagation of mutiple clones but for this kind of stuff you need laboratory type conditions. The only real advantage is that you can make billions of plants from the same plant. Yes this has been being done with Australian native plants for decades and is mainly done in WA.

We all know that one cutting can be made into more cuttings that's enough for most smokers.

Rolling sticks is always fun. yes you can roll them in paper or foil(gotta be careful with foil) and yes if done correctly they will stay stuck together like a stick if sealed away in jars like that.

Why do I say gotta be careful with foil?

Well there is another thread here about the deadly spiderweb fungus. Suffice to say that lack of airflow will cause the rot to set in.

There is a level where you may roll weed tightly and leave it rolled tightly but this must be done with a material that breathes. In foil you would at least have to open the ends of the stick to allow some of the moisture out.

I have tried drying/curing in countless ways to try and seal my buds against drying out totally. Also to compress the space they take up.. Not so much because of bulk though that is a consideration but more because air is the enemy of your buds now that you have them dried to at least 85% They have to be sealed up and sealed up very well.

One of my favourite ways to achieve this was to pack Australia post poster tubes.. You know the ones your calendar comes in.

A trick I would only countenance if I had so much weed that I really need to compress it. Because I lost a whole kilo this way once. However people used to be amazed by my horse turds.. I would make these and they would take many days to make as you are all aware trimming a kilo down to buds is quite time consuming. Picking also is therefore done only as fast as I can trim and pack. Thus I did make a poster tube full but it would come back out in lumps rougnly the size of horse droppings. These can be sealed in the right sized jars quite easily as they are circular and leave little room for air space in the jar.

Though most people would want to handle their buds more gently, I pounded these with a 14lb sledge hammer.

At some stage I should get back to trimming as that seems to be the title of this thread split.

I have always trimmed the leaves though I do agree with most that the head leaves if examined are just coated with trichomes.

A simple examination with any hand held lens will show that. I have friends who look at me in horror when I say their buds are too leafy.. They say "what? cut all those crystal covered leaves off?"

Hash has been mentioned so I will point out that all these trichomes on the leaf end up in that hash and not on the leaf.

The end result of the plant material after hash is made from it is known as bhang. Truthfully the only use for this is well known in India.. It is used to make bhang tea or even an alcohol may be fermented with it.

Anyway I trim most of the fan leaves as soon as they start fading on the plant and usually do most of my trimming either while it is still on the plant or immediately after I cut the buds.. Thus most of the fan leaves end up on the ground as mulch. I only keep the good parts.. even if I do trim them off the heads. this remains my herbal tea stash or a gift to friends if they want.

But why trim? was the question asked and my answer is this:

The cellulose clorophyll and tannins are not really desired in the smoking material which is why hash is soo good. It has all the crap taken out.

And anyway .. manicured buds always look so much better than unmanicured ones and taste so much better.

However the best reason for separating heads and leaf is that they both dry differently. If you remove the leaf from the buds it will dry almost immediately while the buds will yet take weeks unless you leave them out in the sun and air. Leaf dried separately like this always tastes better than leaf dried with the heads.

If the leaf is left on the heads it impedes the drying and curing process that must take place and promotes the onset of the deadly spiderweb fungus by retaining moisture instead of losing it. The same can be said of the stems If you are attempting to dry the buds slowly.

We all have friends who only want to smoke leaf. So that gets rid of some of it.

Yet stems and leaves even after all of the above still contain enough resin on their surfaces to make a wonderfully sustaining cup of herbal tea.

Also if treated with alcohol one can take all the hash oil out of the leaf.

As I mentioned above the harsh bitternerss of leaf is what most of us want out of our smoke but over the years I have had friends who prefer to smoke leaf the buds are too strong for them. They still love to see me turn up with a couple of years of supply of leaf.. free of charge.. who wouldn't? Me of course that's why I give it away.

I also had a friend who used to grow it but decided that he would give the heads to his friends and smoke the leaf himself.

Weird because at the same time a body was being buried just a little further down the same road by the killer of man who only wanted to buy a bag of weed. These things stick in your mind like flies that won't go away.. Why would somebody kill somebody over a bag of weed?

Edited by gouger