Will this medium work?

It sounds alright.Throw in more perlite and sand if your having drainage issues.I use a totaly soilless mix of 1 part perlite,1 part peatmoss,1 part vermiculite with a cup full of dolimite lime thrown into every 20 litres of mix.This mix drains well,handles over fertilisation and can be flushed very easly.It contains no nutrients so must be fertilised from day one.I recommend using Canna and their flowering supplement PK 13-14.

They're not for any kind of system really, just gonna put them on the window for a while then put them outside.

would it be wise to just put them straight outside or is it ok keeping them in the window till they get bigger,

keeping in mind that they only get about 6straight hours of direct sunlight a day?

Thanks for the feedback

I have never deliberately used vermiculite but have inadvertently used it due to having bought plants in such mixes or due to having to work with it in various nurseries.

It is obviously an advantage to some in greenhouse culture but I would not countenance it's use in hydro. There is no way a plant potted in a vermiculite mixture will survive if planted out in warm weather outdoors.. unless you wash the vermiculite completely away from the roots before planting or leave the hose running on it for weeks until the plant makes roots into the watertable.. Even then there will be a dry spot where the vermiculite is.. and on a hot day this can spell disaster.

In pot culture vermiculite will provide the house for many problems unless your watering regime is specifically attuned to vermiculite.

It may be noted that by preference anything I do for myself is always specifically organic. I also have to work with all the chemicals .. for other people but it is not my philosophy.

Vermiculite is not a part of natural soil mixes. It plays a part in mixes but there are many less annoying materials to work with.

Edited by gouger

for a soil mix..

1 part perlite

2parts wormcastings

1part compost

for extra drainage if you think you need it.. maybe ad another part perlite... i use wood chips collected from my chainsaw... works well

subcool has an unreal soil recipe hes posted up... most of the stuff he uses is available here in Australia.. and im sure what you cant find, there would be an excellent substitute

but this basic mix will get you around most plants...