Winter crop?

I always sow my seed in May.

I live only 500 km from Melbourne.

Main reasons for sowing in May outdoors:

•in short it is easier to grow a seedling in winter than summer

•frosts as low as -5ºC do not kill seedlings, even being covered with snow won't hurt them.

•too bloody dry during the warmer months for good germination

•a sunny spot in winter can easily make a thermometer reach 60ºC by morning tea time

•too many slugs snails and slaters around if you do water during the warmer months

•sexing males from females is always done before Spring comes..

•grafting of males over to the selected best females can be done very early in the season

•male plants grafted in early spring will easily match any female seedling in morphology

•easier to have a plant all ready to power on as soon as the soil starts to warm up

Oh and yes as shown by RobbieGanjaSeedthe way to keep plants small and unobtrusive is to start them from seed in say Feburary/March and plant them into the soil in March/April. .. or alternatively, if kept stunted in pots until late in the season and then plant them out will give the same result. On average plants treated in the above ways will at least quadruple the size you plant them at and yet not get big enough to be spotted by the casual observer.

However.. Nothing can beat a plant that is 12 months old when you pick it. Which is really why sowing in May is best of all. :applause:

This plant came up as a seed dropped from the last crop in situ.. in May/June This image was taken on the 19th of January and that isn't the whole plant by any means.. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/jonosterman/Thaiskunkhybrid.jpg Imagine how awesome it was when picked in May?

This plant was a seedling male planted in May and grafted in September. Not the best photo but the plant grew several stems more than 1.5 metres from the graft and the bud is obviously not male.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/jonosterman/blockhead.jpg again shot on the same day in January. I didn't pick this fully until June.

Edited by gouger