Police warn of ongoing Nimbin presence

ABC News

Posted Tue May 6, 2008 1:04pm AEST

Mardi Grass might be over for another year but police warn they will continue to have a major presence in Nimbin.

Superintendent Bruce Lyons of the Richmond local area command says he intends to shut down the drug trade in the village.

He says most the community is telling him they want to see an end to the street dealing in Nimbin.

"We have improved the police numbers at Nimbin permanently from four to nine police officers working out of Nimbin police station," he said.

"Our aim is to get rid of that drug dealing culture that exists and the police there will make that happen."

awwrrr yah canna believe a word that man say

he is just diong his job

he works for multinational corperations

reality is

nine police officers working out of Nimbin police station

true

now dem get complantes pon the phone and respond

seen

funny ting one of the local cops told me

is all the complaints come from other towns via their local cops shops

so the nine cops get called out of the area to help other cops because not nuff work for them in nimbin

and not nuff complaints to bring them to town every day

when someone does complain they are usually out of the area pon other calls

and dont respond for hrs

tipical

9 Permanent cops in Nimbin!!?! Now that's fuckin overkill!

They could line the street and be in view of each other around the clock almost in that force.

Why don't people question the allocation of resources the cops always say they are lacking? Kids being abused and abducted, rapes, and all the crap in world in the cities, and they want 9 cops in Nimbin to stop somthing that when mr. and mrs. average go to bed don't even know exists!

mad shit

rob

Cannabis is not really the big issue with nimbin and isn't what has made it go to shit in many aspects , it's the harder drugs like heroin and ice that have destroyed the culture they created for them selfs. If it was all over pot i don't think they would bother but the issue is that it has spilled passed that . I remember last time i was there it was bordering on feeling harrased to buy some form of drug lol so it's not a suprise that many of the locals and cops have had enough.

The most fucked up thing about it imo is that Cannabis itself is gonna be dragged through the mud once again because of designer drugs that are pushed solely to create addicts and in many cases where developed through government research funding :thumbdown:

Cannabis is not really the big issue with nimbin and isn't what has made it go to shit in many aspects , it's the harder drugs like heroin and ice that have destroyed the culture they created for them selfs. If it was all over pot i don't think they would bother but the issue is that it has spilled passed that . I remember last time i was there it was bordering on feeling harrased to buy some form of drug lol so it's not a suprise that many of the locals and cops have had enough.

The most fucked up thing about it imo is that Cannabis itself is gonna be dragged through the mud once again because of designer drugs that are pushed solely to create addicts and in many cases where developed through government research funding :thumbdown:

Maybe the locals should form a vigillante group and make sure the hard drug pushers are pushed back to whence they came from. Byron Bay springs to mind.

This new excise the government is going to put on lolly pop alcohol (according to my political science grad, son)is just going to make the young kids buy drugs as they will be cheaper.

Like I said before busting stoners is a lot easier than going after the big guys.

You may well be right Pure, as I've seen docos on the locals being upset with needles being all over the joint. but then try going around the back of Byron bay hospital on a saturday morning and see the carpet of needles laid out there. the needle bin (well this was ten years or more ago) was filled before dark fell, and by morning you couldn't get near the needle bin, and I mean it. For 20 meters in alkl directions around the bin it was steel cap boots only.I havent seen anything ever like it, and can only imagine it's got worse.

So why not the big hype in byron? Tourist dollars at risk through bad publicity? or maybe it's just the wealthy dont get the bad scene like the poor do. I mean more dope is grown on the face of that lookout in rich people's back yards than anywhere else in that whole area. but seeing as there's a waiting list in as far away as California to buy into that cliff face, you dont see helicopters of police sniffer dogs hanging around the rich and famous homes. From meory, same task force deals with Byron, and Lismore to a large extent. why hammer a little town with similar problems, only full of poor people?

But one thing I do know for sure, the cheque book journalism , the sensationalism those fuckers used in the 90s about people not just on "drugs" but unemployed and enjoying themselves without paying taxes angered a lot of people in this country that would have otherwise not even known what goes on in that town. Just for a ten minute drmam on tv at 6.30 pm. They started the ball rolling against the area in general, let alone the town.

I personally blame the idiot Jan Avents (or whatever her name is; the Romanian chick), mike munrow, those fucking idiots. The trouble started back then with their "epose" reports.

cheers

rob

Maybe the locals should form a vigillante group and make sure the hard drug pushers are pushed back to whence they came from.

This has already happened to a fair degree, according to one woman who spoke publicly after Sundays march.

Of course this is about cannabis :thumbdown: and it's politically based, just the same as the big push for drug testing, banning bongs and steeper penalties for hydro ..all flawed policies, but they're easy, look good in the news and only affect a group of people who aren't renowned for putting up much of a protest lol

all flawed policies, but they're easy, look good in the news and only affect a group of people who aren't renowned for putting up much of a protest

Totally right mate. I mean why did heroin even get a go on in the town anyway? people living typically in Sydney and Melbourne, but Brisbane too, who were struggling to feed seriosuly expensive drug habits they'd developed there. Stealing and probably all sorts of crap trying to get enough money for their daily shot of poison, they gradually heard about a place that accpetance is far greater than where they were in the city, where people of all walks congregate.

Added to that, if they were lucky, they could find a spot to grow some weed, or get in on the business somehow, to support their habit and be left alone.

So pushing them out of town is no solution. Indeed, it could well send the same people back into terrible ways of providing their drug of choice by stealing again, cuasing everything from insurace costs to increase to just general crime related problems escelating, aids from prostitution...you name it.

It needs a better solution than just pushing them away.

cheers

rob

right on bro seedy

gotta love dat

everytime

we are all in diss together

seen

so forward can only lead to unity

heal the people

heal the land

jails are obsalite out moded

we setup some community support programms for the street people

the struggle go on

as we speak

and continualy evloves

still

we hafe forward ina dis time

thats what we do

set up progarms to help people back up off the streets to rebuild their lives and join we community

babylon refugees

we call dem

so datz why you will see dem pon the street now

cause they just keep comming

but

we are getting stronger and stronger everday