Cut Cannabis use by selling it at the post office: expert

Cut cannabis use by selling it at the post office: expert

Dr Wodak: "It's about reducing cannabis harm."

Erik Jensen

May 6, 2008

CANNABIS would be sold legally in post offices in packets that warn against its effects under a proposal outlined by the head of a Sydney drug and alcohol clinic.

The director of the alcohol and drug service at St Vincent's Hospital, Alex Wodak, said Australia needed to learn from the tobacco industry and the US Prohibition era in coming to terms with his belief that cannabis use would replace cigarette consumption over the next decade. "The general principal is that it's not sustainable that we continue to give criminals and corrupt police a monopoly to sell a drug that is soon going to be consumed by more people than tobacco," he said.

"I don't want to see that [industry] fall into the hands of tobacco companies or rapacious businessmen.

"I'd like to see it fall into the hands of the failed business people Australia seems so good at producing or the Australia Post that seems so successful in driving away customers."

He made the proposal for taxed and legalised cannabis at the Mardi Grass festival in Nimbin on Sunday, but said he would be happy to express his opinion to the Federal Government. A spokesman for the Minister for Health, Nicola Roxon, said the proposal would not be considered.

Experts in the fields of drug and law enforcement yesterday opposed the suggestion, saying there was insufficient evidence that legalisation would not increase harmful use or lead to other law enforcement issues.

"It's really going beyond the evidence to say regulatory control would effectively reduce adverse effects," said a deputy director of the National Drug Research Institute, Simon Lenton. "We don't know what the effects would be."

Dr Wodak believed his idea could reduce cannabis consumption, based on comparisons between consumption in Amsterdam and San Francisco. He said regulated availability would also reduce people's exposure to other illicit drugs when buying the product. His model would make cannabis advertising illegal, ban political donations from the cannabis industry, and demand proof of age on purchase.

He chose Australia Post for distribution as it could be regulated and had branches across the country. "What I'm talking about is not pro-cannabis … it's about reducing cannabis harm."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/cut-ca...9839554211.html

Great idea! This was from the Sydney morning herald. Taken off the front page after only a few hours. Can't find any other coverage!

Edited by freddie

Sorry Dr Wodak, i prefer to grow my own 'n have nothing to do with buying or selling cannabis. I might consider paying for an annual grower's license. But no way in hell i would pay for cannabis, especially if the government and/or corporate world had something to do with it. Not just because it's morally wrong, I also like to know what chemicals have been used, thru the growing process.

Cannabis belongs to the planet, for the benefit of mankind. No policing or finances need to change hands, for it to be legal. Sooner that sinks into their thick skulls, the better.

lol

ABC Radio National had an interview with Dr Wodak regarding this subject just before the 8.00 am news this morning.

He did actually say that policing people wanting to grow their own wasn't needed. I just caught the end of it but this guy is a great talker and understands that at present criminals are distributing and making money from Cannabis. Wish I had caught the whole interview. He raised many points we raise here that make sense lol

wow. his reasoning pretty much made no sense to me whatsoever since as far as i'm aware there has yet to be proven cannabis even has any harmful effects. the only harmful effect i personally have found is my stress increasing when i can't get any lol. it's high time i get growing!

Thanks for those links Nugget.

wow. his reasoning pretty much made no sense to me whatsoever since as far as i'm aware there has yet to be proven cannabis even has any harmful effects. the only harmful effect i personally have found is my stress increasing when i can't get any

Did you listen to the interview???

Alex Wodak wants cannabis legalised.

He wants Australia post to distribute pot. Licenced growers would grow it.

Home growers would be left alone. You would still be able to grow your own.

It is debatable how dangerous pot is but if it was dangerous you could put warning labels on the packets (like they do with ciggies).

At the moment criminals and corrupt police supply pot. Wodak believes it would be better if the government had some control on supply. There would be less harm because the pot would have to meet health standards. I'm guessing this means rules about pesticide use e.t.c. Wodak is all about harm minimisation. Do a search. He has some seriously good ideas.

sorry, i didn't listen to the interview. to be honest i didn't even really read the article properly. i pretty much saw the negative words and started typing... my bad. i haven't been able to smoke for 2 weeks and it's taking it's toll. lol