Worms in heads

I've sacrificed one from the usual find kill method, to the find, scan, kill research method.. Gives me chills looking at the little bugger like that.

Anyway there are no dead branches lying around, and the squash method seems to be keeping them at bay. Its a very recent find, maybe 3 days ago, before that they looked fine but must have been under attack when the worms were still small. The heads looked fine 3 days ago too, now I can scour the plant looking for browny areas, and normally I find one lurking in there, sometimes burrowing inside the head and other times on the leaves cruising around. They seem to hunt/feed alone, so if I kill one in an area that is a bit damaged then most often there are no more lurking around. Tell tale signs also include small shit droppings in an area that looks suspicious, I will most often find one with a little searching.

But so far so good!

Channon

post-15715-1208161242_thumb.jpg

Looks like budworm to me, but I'm no expert. You can probably send that photo to your local ag department and tell them you've found it on a few of your catnip plants in the flowering clusters and they should give you more specific info.

Nothing more organic than a squash with a boot. Wire is useful to get into the holes they sometimes make to kill the resident.

It was a long time back, but that grub looks like the worm of a heliothus moth. It would be worth while getting an expert to look at it as Luke Said. I don't know anything about "bud worms", but I wouldn't be suprised Luke if we're talking about the same buggers?

No problems Bufo, glad my ancient experience can be of some help. I miss growing outside. In fact I miss growing inside :thumbsup:. I'm getting to it but.

cheers all

rob

PS. Channon, I understand you're on top of the problem, but I just wonder if you are growing around the edges of roads, or in close proximity to crops like soya beans, maybe even corn. The grub looks like corn grub too. I'm just asking to say if you notice any crop dusters getting with it in your area, be carefull, some of the poisons they use are deadly. On the other hand, it'll stop the grub infestation in it's tracks.

good luck (continuing).