Sex, Drugs, and Cancer?

Have a read of this.

Sex, Drugs, and Cancer?

Study Links Certain Head and Neck Cancers to Sexual Activity, Marijuana Use

By Miranda Hitti

WebMD Medical NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDMarch 11, 2008 -- Certain head and neck cancers may be tied to sexual activity, marijuana use, and human papillomavirus (HPV) type 16.

That news comes from Johns Hopkins University's Maura Gillison, MD, PhD, and colleagues, who studied 240 people with head and neck squamous cell carcinomas (head and neck cancers). Some of their cancers tested positive for HPV 16; others were negative for HPV 16.

The patients answered questions about their lifestyle. For comparison, 322 cancer-free people answered the same lifestyle questions.

Here's what the researchers learned:

Head and neck cancers that were positive for HPV 16 were associated with having more oral sex partners and smoking more marijuana.

Head and neck cancers that were negative for HPV 16 weren't linked to sex or marijuana. Instead, they were tied to smoking tobacco, drinking alcohol, and having poor oral hygiene.

Because the study was observational, it's not clear if those risk factors caused cancer.

Based on the findings, Gillison's team argues that HPV 16-negative and HPV 16-positive head and neck squamous cell carcinomas should be considered two different types of cancer.

The study appears in today's advance online edition of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

:bangin: they study 500 people out of billions and then try to tell us they've found links between lifestyle and cancer lol ..this is bullshit, NOT science.

lol

Yep I agree bullshit. Selective research again. Or if correct you will get these cancers from smoking and too much oral sex. Well I'll be ok I'm only getting half of the cause, so I have only half the risk. ;)

Well I'll be ok I'm only getting half of the cause, so I have only half the risk. biggrin.gif

;)

If they're right brick, I'll get the HPV 16 positive version for sure.. I've never heard of a more satisfying way to get cancer B)

Maybe someone should study links between listening to rock music and getting cancer, cause that'd make an even better headline..

"SEX, DRUGS & ROCK&ROLL CAUSES CANCER"

I think dodgey media is giving me cancer, if anything :bangin:

lol lol

FFS.... I don't know what sort of drugs those researchers are on but that must be some wicked shit. All sense of reality seems to have gone out the door, down the street, taken off and is about to leave the atmosphere.

Maybe they should share their drugs so the rest of us can appreciate the joke, then again I have never really been into tripping.