Hemp manufacturer secures Hong Kong contract

• Admin

Hemp Resources has secured a contract to supply Australian grown hemp to Hong Kong after successful trial plantings in the great southern.

The company is behind plans to set up Australia's first industrial hemp farm and eventually wants to create hemp paper and packaging.

Company director Kim Hough has been impressed with trials in Katanning and Kununurra and says the hemp has grown to more than a metre in a month.

Mr Hough says the company plans to significantly increase plantings this year to take advantage of huge demand in Asia.

"We've secured a market out of a Hong Kong company which will now also be the distribution company for Unan Hemp and Unan Resources, so between the two of us, we'll be bulking up on seed and fibre and using it as an international trading company," he said.

Author: ?

Date: 14/03/08

Source: ABC Online

Copyright: © 2008 ABC

This is a good thing. The more countries that are not complicit in the US driven ban on industrial hemp the better. The more countries that actively use their independance to pursue hemp products the better.

Why?

..because monstrous profits and undercutting of US products (materials, biofuel, fibres etc) from hemp will come about. This in turn will place increasing financial pressures on the US and countries that forcefully inherit US based anti-hemp laws. The end result is the potential for governments worldwide to turn their stance around on HEMP.

Edited by failure

'king oath! great stuff!

There was a trial crop in tassie about ten years ago, bit less maybe. it was vandalised! destroyed by people unknown!!

Hemp has the ability to be so good for so many things in the world. from protecting old growth forests for tough paper grades, to ending the grip cotton has, (I'm a cotton freak for no other practicle alternaitves, about all I wear) drenching the cotton growing disticts in poisons, and using up insane amounts of water resources. A myth I've always heard of the rivers in cotton towns NSW runniong backwards during heavy periods of irrigation turns out to be true.

They use airline turbines to power their water pumps, all the while, using insaley high amounts of poisons to beat the cotton weavels, which results in cancer clusters that when mapped leave no question of danger.

My neice was born with caner and had two years of operations before she died, the doctors were certain it was from being gestated in her mother's womb around cotton.

Hemp has a huge place in protecting the environment, and "us" as part of that environment.

I wish this company all the very best. i hope they make zillions, because that's all these buggers look at. If they get rich, all the similar farmers will want in.

rob

Kununurra was originally to be a cotton growing area but the powers that be wanted it shipped back to the east and then on to the Asian markets thus becoming a very uneconomical move, but seed companies which are still growing there use a fair amount of poisons on their crops. I know nothing about Katanning so maybe that will be a better growing environment.

Which ever way I wish them all the best.