Fertilizer Burn & transplant

Hi All

just need little bit advice, and as u all seem to have a lot of knowledge.... (im still learning & experimenting)

When Using a slow release fertilizer, is there still a chance that it could burn the plant? and if you do burn a plant is there anyway to help the plant?

and also,

When growing outdoor is it really necessary to use blood & bone or Sesol?

and one more question. (sorry)

Is there a correct way to tranplant without damaging the roots or stunning the plant. because i need to put my transplant my plant to a bigger pot. and i dont want to damage her!....so does anyone have any methods or advice.

hey there alipants

yep when using a slow release fert you can still get burn but it is less likely as long as you go buy what it says on the back of box or packet. Outdoors it is not absolutly needed to use B&B and seasol but unless you have excelent soil then ya gonna need some nutes at some stage as ya plants gonna suck alot out of ya dirt.

If you do over dose with slow release then simply remove the fert from the top of the soil and flush with a good amount of ph adjusted water as long as you have good drainage this will flush any extra of the fert out but once again as long as you follow the instructions on the box ya shouldnt need to worry

now with ya repotting the best way to do it gets ya pots ready and then slip the plants out of its old pot and gentle remove as much of the old soil as you can with out damaging the roots and place into new pot. Unfortunatly you are always gonna get abit of stunting as the plant needs to settle its root system but after that they will be fine

hope that helps

cheerz :peace:

Yeah exactly what Stoney says....and, if you add a bit of B1 when you transplant, it will help alleviate the shock. Try never to let them get pot bound and the transition will be easier on you both.

It's not so much that the plant is stunted, but rather that once the roots have room to spread out a bit, the plant concentrates more on that, and less on leafy growth. So it seems that the plant has stopped growing when in fact it is growing like crazy under the soil...

Edited by Pam

I always water the plant well hours before transplanting, then transplant as the daylight cycle is almost at an end , the following day or two i ensure the plant is afforded good shade in its new location

these factors help minimize stress factors associated with transplanting

best o' luck :peace:

Thannks Stoney, Pam & Frazzle for your responses.

i appreciate it :peace:

i done abit of research and found a method called double potting.

i dont if u no much about it, but the general concept of it is that double potting helps create a thicker stem.

During vegetative growth the bottom of the top pot is cut away and is placed on top of a new pot

with fresh soil. The roots grow down into the next pot.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh93/system-flush/DoublePotting.jpg

it looks like its a pretty valid idea, would u recommend this or just transplanting to a bigger pot?

Thanks All

Edited by ALIPANTS420