Which Ballast Should I use?

Ok guys and girls. I'm just about ready to kick off the next grow, just waiting for the real estate to do their inspection thing, and for some seeds to arrive.

I was checking out what ballasts I have just before, and I came up against an old question I've had on my mind for a while but never resolved, and I hope someone here can put me right.

I'm going to run one of my 1kwatt lights. But I have two different ballasts, and I wonder which one is better, as in does one draw more power than the other, one more relibale than the other, produce more light than the other..anything measurable between the two which would make one better than the other? Des one run hotter than the other?

One is a straight forward 1000 watt JB HPS ballast.

The other is a Ablite 1000watt dual ballast that allows one to plug and play a MH or a HPS. I would be using it as a HPS if I were to be using it, and not utilising the MH aspect of it.

The dual control box by Ablite weighs a friggin tonne, and is more than twice the physical size of the straght forward JB HPS ballast.

So ..who can tell me if one is better to run than the other? As I said, there wont be any MH being used in this grow at all.

I do however want to extend the extension cord from the light bracket tot he ballast a fair bit longer. Maybe an extra 3 meters? I'm not afraid of wiring things like this, it;s just copy what's already there, and if I get muddled up, i always get hold of my uncle who's been an electrician all his life. But I've done my own simple wirirng for years, and only come close to killing myself twice (no joke).

Deep amd meaninful insight of the evening "don't fuck with wireing jobs while stoned."

Just wondering if extending the light lead from the box another three meters will place too much load on the box or lead. Anyone know how far these leads can be lengthened before it starts to burn out the globes quickly, or the delicate parts of the ballasts?? Maybe they can be extended as long as we like? I have one here that's bloody miles longer than anything I've seen as a rule, and it was bought from the shop like that. Maybe it doesnt matter a rat's arse? I just have tio run the wires quiet some way, and in the end , if they can be extended that long without any troubles, will be very good for the grow.

Anyone know some answers to these questions?

cheers all..and thanks.

rob