Opposition kind on Swan's drug use

FEDERAL Treasurer Wayne Swan has received support from both sides of politics after admitting to using marijuana in his youth.

Opposition Leader Dr Brendan Nelson today said any "stupid decisions" people had made in their youth were their own choice.

"They're decisions Mr Swan presumably made in his earlier life," Dr Nelson said in Sydney.

"I don't think there should be any judgment should be passed upon them.

"If Mr Swan or anybody else chose to smoke marijuana in their earlier lives, then that's their business."

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd also came to Mr Swan's defence and said no member of the Government claimed to be a "paragon of virtue".

Mr Swan admitted using marijuana in his student days and said his second wife was pregnant when they were wed.

He also had a little-known earlier marriage.

"I don't think anyone in this Government has ever pretended to be some sort of paragon of moral virtue, least of all, yours truly," Mr Rudd said in Brisbane.

"It was a long time ago, as Wayne said what needs to be said about that, and about the importance of drugs... and I'll leave it at that."

Dr Nelson said he had never smoked marijuana and that it was necessary to educate young people about the dangers of binge drinking, smoking and illicit drugs.

"One of the things I've spent all life fighting against is smoking in any form," he said.

Earlier today Mr Swan said despite his drug use and pre-marital sex in his younger days, it was not a "Mick Jagger experience".

Source: www.news.com.au

it sounds like a few pollies are coming out about their drug use when they were younger and are saying they are merely human and if they tried drugs its their business and theirs alone lol bloody double standard pricks, although hopefully if enough of them come out admitting drug use it will prove people can use without becoming total losers :D

just call in dr nelson as a witness and get your lawyer to bring up that article...what is he going to do? tell the truth and say as a doctor and politician he thinks that anyone involved with mariajuana should be left alone and free from prosecution or is he going to lie under oath and risk going to prison? personally i think that knowing what scum bags politicians are he is just as likely to do either, but then again he might want to protect his arse more than his reputation so you never know :D