I just watered my seedlings that live in soil - they have recently been displaying some uniform yellowing - and I saw a whole heap of little white buggers float out the top!

Since I'm a beginner with soil am I correct to assume that this is white fly? Look sorta similar to some I got on my clones last year.

Since they are still in the soil and not yet on the leaves - can I still use neem? Will that kill all the ones hatching in the soil?

Jimbo :D

if the bugs are only on the medium a quick, simple and very effective way of killing the bastards is to fill a bucket or even the bath tub if you have huge pots with enough water to completely submerge the entire medium. then its just a matter of putting the pot into the water and waiting 30 mins or so for all the bugs to drown which from my experience will also float to the surface of the water lol

short of that i highly recommend "maverik" which is made by yates and can be purchased from places like big-w for around $13. a few doses of that through the medium and sprayed on the plant and your bug problem will be over :D

they dont sound like white fly to me...

white fly will lay eggs on the underside of the leaves.. and i dont think they even go near the soil.. could be wrong.. whute fly.. youll notice them flying around...

are you using rainwater?.. cuz i think ive noticed a similar thing with my grow a few times.. i thought it had something to do with the rainwater... since ive had my new tank.. with a fresh batch of rainwater they havent come back... i used to get them floating in my resi...

some pics of WhiteFly

Well I did water them just that way WDC, but only for around 1min so perhaps I could try it as long as you suggest.

SS - yeah I'm on rainwater but they look like white fly to me (most suitable image below) but they are only crawling atm not flying which is why I presume they are juvenile. Can't do much about replacing my rainwater tanks - they are about 60.000l each.

I have given them a spray with White Oil (maybe too young for pyrethrum?) at lights out today - and the top of the soil, and will go have a look at the Yates stuff.

I also read about this 'Nylar' stuff - anyone used it? Or used it in soil?

Odorless growth regulator which is added to an adulticide for insect control.

Although it will do nothing to adult insects, it will sterilize eggs and larva so they are unable to develop into adults.

This disruption in growth leads to the targeted pest not developing properly to reproducing adults and effectively stops the colony from growing.

Anyone else who wants to chip in go for it...

Thanks

Jimbo :D

post-7898-1204511519_thumb.jpg