Suggested Documentaries

Rose Gardener

Question

Well I have just finished watching "In Pot We Trust" and I have "Waiting To Inhale" which I am going to watch a little later.

I am just wondering, are there any other documentary type films out there that might be worth a watch?

I am also looking at gathering a lot of material together to give to my doctor when I broach the subject of medicinal cannabis use with him. I honestly don't know how he will react, but I am hoping he will be open minded.

I was given a large quantity prescription for panadene forte the other day when I saw him. The p/f works well enough to just take a edge off the pain but the side effects are too many for my liking. Firstly, they knock the stuffing out of me and within half an hour of taking them I have to lay down because I am unable to function even on a basic level. Then there is the constipation codeine causes and the damage the codeine and paracetamol does to the liver and kidneys.

I would also like to be able to stop taking the two medications prescribed for my cluster headaches and migraines too.

I have been experiencing some side effects from these medications being swelling of the lower limbs, regular bouts of nausea, tiredness and lethargy, and my appetite is non existent at times (not that having little appetite is a problem for me, I could stand to lose a kilo or 30...) oh and one of them does not help the depression.

The side effects I get from the depression meds are problems with sleeping (I either can't sleep or do nothing but sleep), loss of libido, agitation, constant yawning, plus if I forget to take my anti deps, I get headaches, nausea, dizziness, slight insomnia, anxiety attacks, and this strangle tingling numbness all over the body which is more obvious in the arms, legs, hands and feet.

Sorry, I'm just in a bit of a ramble mode... :P

Anyway, back to my original question... Are there any other documentary type films out there that might be worth a watch?

Cheers

not feeling very :D ~M.

I am also looking at gathering a lot of material together to give to my doctor when I broach the subject of medicinal cannabis use with him. I honestly don't know how he will react, but I am hoping he will be open minded.

I hope you have some luck with your doctor. I was on panedine forte as well and I told my doctor I smoked cannabis. Big mistake. I thought he would be O.K. with it but instead he treats me as if I was a drug addict. Needless to say I don't go much any more. I have a packet of panedine forte untouched for about a year. Also some valium (valpam) that were given to me in hospital. I dislike both of these drugs and have just used pot for ages.

I can't help you with films but you could point out that one of the medical associations in the U.S.A. has recently supported medical use of cannabis. I'm not sure though what result you are hoping to get by telling your doctor? There's no medical marijuana in Australia.

Also Horizon's "Is Alcohol Worse than Ecstasy?" though it's not so much about medical use but comparing the harms with the recent UK research into a replacement for Class A/B/C categories.

EDIT: Sorry while I'm here these are also excellent documentaries but not strictly from a medical perspective: "VH1 - The Drug Years" and "American Drug War - The Last White Hope". All recent torrens so they should be out there somewhere.

Edited by niall

Niall did you actually watch that doco?

This is some of the bullshit that was said about cannabis in it:

Cannabis is responsible for one recorded death a year

It is not a safe drug and you should not underestimate it.

Worldwide studies are indicating its links to lung cancer and psychosis.

The "scientific" study involved pumping pure THC intravenously to a patient in a hospital bed, and then asking them questions like "Do you think there is a conspiracy against you?"

And throughout the whole thing they are playing this kind of sinister creepy sounding music in the background.

Total trash IMO.

Niall did you actually watch that doco?

Yep.

Cannabis is responsible for one recorded death a year

The fact is that they have recorded official deaths attributed to cannabis in the UK. It's unfortunate, and not based on medical fact or proven, but it's been recorded and we have to deal with that.

It is not a safe drug and you should not underestimate it.

While I agree we should not underestimate it, and that it is not a safe drug for everyone (e.g. the elderly, children, those with heart conditions and mental illness), I agree this claim is a bit dubious.

Worldwide studies are indicating its links to lung cancer and psychosis.

True, they are indicating links - associative not causal. Much of the research is questionable, but it exists.

However we cannot stick our heads in the sand and pretend that these claims do not exist or are not worth further study.

I find it hard to understand your apologetic stance for this piece of propaganda Niall.

This is exactly the kind of reporting that scares the general public and makes it harder to achieve law reform. 10% fact and 90% bullshit.

Aside from everything else the selection of music in the background is a dead giveaway as to the intent of the producers IMO.

If you want to make someone fear cannabis, then yeah show em this doco.

My stance is not apologetic, I agree with you pipeman - but I felt it necessary to acknowledge the claims that you brought up.

Some of them are true, some of them I believe are misleading or half-truths. Research exists for the points they have raised - ignoring it or dismissing it out of hand achieves nothing. We must acknowledge them and respond with the whole story where the public is being misled.

I still believe it's a good documentary. Do I agree with everything in it? Well seeing as I disagree with almost everyone, about virtually every topic, chances are I don't agree with any documentary 100%. But that's just me, make your own mind up just know what you're talking about, back it up with why and drive it home, or the argument devolves into a he-said she-said and the public won't trust either party.

Before going to see the Dr speak to his receptionist and ask how open minded he is, you'll get a pretty good idea by her reaction.

My Partner used to suffer from depression and our local Dr suggested taking a fair amount of magnesium, it is from the health food shop, since taking hasn't had a bout of depression since, but having said that different strokes for different folks.

Google "magnesium and depression".

Cheers

There are two that I am very interested in.

1. "Never Get Raided" - www.nevergetbusted.com

- Am interested in this for fun viewing. Barry Cooper shows how to avoid being busted when guerilla growing, indoor growing, etc. Shows how to detect informants and such.

2. "The Union - The Business Behind Getting High" - http://www.theunionmovie.com/TheUnionWeb.html

- This is a much more serious documentary outlining the harms of prohibition in a way that will be entertaining and informative, and most importantly, viewable by a higher percentage of closed minded individuals. Ie: it is professional and respectable, and does not plaster itself with dreadlocks, cheap effects and hippy culture.

Both I think are important and entertaining.

Edited by failure