FoxFarm Soils

Howdy,

Iv been reading a decent amount about differnt soils from round the world, and most the conculutions of gotten too, is that Foxfarm is a great organic soil. Thats all good but i havent been able to source any from anywhere.

I know its a Dutch company that makes it all, and am wondering if it is avalaible in OZ or dont they export for retail here?

And if not, what would be the chances of importing a dew bags of soil? would customs deny it entry because of its organic matter or dont they care?

On another note, can any soil users give any recipes for a good organic WELL draining soil mix that can be bought from normal stores like bunnings or some place like that (dont think hydro shops have much soil,could be wrong tho)

THanks

Cheers

yea i would mix my own, but still kind of getting the hang of diff types of soils and their properties and how they would constitute into well draining.

Ah cools,thanks for the tip Gills, never thought to check the outdoor section.

Cheers

Edited by Flange

If you add enough perlite to your mix the soil will drain just fine.

A good soil mix should take care of almost all the plants needs.

My own is a mix of a clean (of wood chips) container soil 5 parts, 2 parts peat, 2-3 parts perlite, 2 parts worm castings, 1 part bone meal or blood meal depending on if the mix is for veg or flower, and I also add Mycorrhiza fungi.

Any other feeding is done by foliar spray just at lights out, so as not to over load the soil.

Hope that helps....

yeah i too havent seen that brand available in oz

i think customs would kick up a stink

i dont think u will make the break with them sorry

that leaves making ya own

there are some proven recipes around

sorry i have no links..but if u are fair dinkum

the best investment will be a worm farm

u can buy other addatives like blood n bone

perlite,and other organic makings to add to ya base mix

if so inclined id research for a proven mix that u can access the ingrediants of

but u can achieve the same outcome with an inert medium and some organic nutes

all the best

bil

Yeah customs would flog ya for it and would probably get themselves a seasch warrant at the same time and come and pay you a visit too

i have heard that canna has a new range of soil have seen it and it sounds good but around here its abit expencive for me to have a crack at

to be honest i use the cheapest non fertilized soil and just use some good quality fertilizers or hydro nutes ever second or third watering and works good enough for me

cheerz :P

Hey thanks guys, great info.

So its even possible to have a nute rich soil which takes care of 90% of all the feeding,with little to no external nutes? sounds nice.

Will do alittle more reading but think i got it now.

Thanks again

Peace

hey Flange

im in the states and have used fox farms ocean forest with good results, but not great....it seems too processed and it looks baked.. i have since gone back to what i first used and am a lot happier and so are my plants. i buy organic soils from a regular nursery or garden shop, its available here, each nursery here seems to have its own local supplier, it may be true where you are also...and then i add vermiculite and pearlite to make it fluffy otherwise it's a bit too dense for my liking plus i hear vermiculite adds some of those micro nutes not found in a lot of fertilizers

do you have Dr. Schultz home and garden available in Oz? if not you probably can get your hands on something similiar, worm farm great idea too, then add a little guano, vegan compost, maybe seaweed if you like, and use a little less nutes (save a couple bucks) but if you really unsure of the contents of the available dirts, you can buy pure sphagnum peat, coco, and vegan compost...of course you'll need to experiment a little with perlite and or vermiculite to balance your water retention and root oxygenation abilities. but then youll be able to take your soil to your agricultural dept. and have it tested for pH and N-P-K values. Both of which will define your soil amending ability (add lime or sulfur, little more/less solid fertilizer, etc.), and allow you to carry out a nutrient regiment thats consistent...a little work yes...but will save you money in the log run and you can stay on the business of refining your lights, space, and nutrient program to eliminate some of those high dollar nutes that hydro farms use...some are great products, don't get me wrong but least cost with best results...organic soil w/ amendments. and if you can put your hands on an organic fulvic acid....do it!!!