Queensland beefs up drug laws

Queensland beefs up drug laws

February 14, 2008 08:57pm

Article from: AAP

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

TOUGH new drug laws passed by state parliament today will act as a serious deterrent, according to Queensland's Attorney-General and Justice Minister Kerry Shine.

Maximum penalties for the unlawful possession, supply and trafficking of drugs ecstasy or MDMA and PMA or death would increase from 20 to 25 years under the Drugs Misuse Amendment Bill.

The Bill also introduced new offences to assist in the prosecution of people illegally manufacturing drugs such as ice.

"New offences have been created for the supply and production of substances such as pseudo ephedrine and for the possession of equipment used in the production of dangerous drugs such as pill presses," he said.

"We have also introduced a new concept called 'analogue' which means that drugs not named in the Drugs Misuse Act, but which have a similar structure pharmacological effect, will attract the same penalties as drugs that are in it."

The maximum penalty for the unlawful possession, supply or trafficking of Valium, Sarapax, steroids, Rohypnol or Flunitrazepam and ephedrine to 20 years imprisonment.

Previously, the maximum penalty for their supply or trafficking was five years jail while possession carried a maximum of two years imprisonment.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23215873-1702,00.html

does that effect mj laws in anyways ?

Hmm, ya right babybear, they seemed to give cannabis a miss this time round. We might have to do a bit more research into it though, just to make sure they haven't beefed up on the cannabis laws 'n just didn't care to mention it, in the above article.

We'd be pretty gullible, to take a news report as gospel...

Keep an eye out for new documentation released in the next couple of months from the Queensland State Gov in regards to the Drugs Misuse Act. From memory, the last time it was updated was the late 1990's. :thumbsup:

To be honest, i'd advise every personal grower to be up to speed with their state's/territories legislation, in regards to cannabis sativa. As it may just save ya hide a bit, if ya ever get a visit.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Indycar

I imagine it'll soon be unlawful to know what drugs are here in Qld :peace:

I bet the cops wish they could read our minds, then they could make it unlawful to think about drugs.

I mean how out of balance is it that possession carries the same maximum penalty as supply :rolleyes:

...and the opposition dribblers are crying that the new measures don't go far enough lol these conservative dogs must want to bring back the death penalty :thumbsup:

Penalties

The Customs Act provides severe penalties for anyone who is convicted of importing or exporting illegal drugs. State laws also provide severe penalties for anyone manufacturing, supplying or possessing any illegal drugs.

It is worth knowing that if you have quantities of an illegal drug over a certain amount (sometimes called the 'trafficable quantity') then you can be convicted not only of possessing but also of trafficking in that drug (by reason of the amount in your possession).

The Customs Act, which covers the import and export of goods in Australia, defines the trafficable quantities of illegal drugs as:

* cannabis: 100g or more

* cannabis resin: 20g or more

* opioids: 2g or more

* LSD: 0.002g or more

In Queensland, penalties for possessing and producing illegal drugs are harsher if the amounts exceed:

* cannabis: 500g or more, or if plants - weight is less than 500g and 100 plants

* heroin: 2g pure or more

* cocaine: 2g pure or more

* LSD: 0.004g pure or more

If you have less than these amounts, you can still be charged with possessing that drug. Penalties for this offence usually include fines and/or a term of imprisonment, a suspended sentence, probation or community service.

Another option for police and magistrates to deal with drug offenders is diversionary programs. The Police Diversion Program ( 12 KB), which commenced in 2001, is offered to eligible juveniles and adults charged with possession of 50 grams or less of cannabis. Offenders will be required to admit guilt and agree to undertake a drug assessment/brief intervention which includes an education program.

It is also an offence to publish or have possession of a recipe for the production of a dangerous drug.

If you are convicted of supplying illegal drugs, the law can be very severe. Penalties include very heavy fines, and long prison sentences. Dealing in illegal drugs is viewed harshly in all parts of Australia.

Courts can distinguish between different drugs when dealing with drug offences. For example, selling heroin is likely to be dealt with much more severely than selling cannabis. In Queensland, the Drugs Misuse Act has maximum penalties for defined quantities of supply for each illegal drug.

In an attempt to reduce drug dependency in the community, the level of drug related criminal activity, health risks associated with drug dependency and pressure on resources in the court and prison systems, a court diversion program is currently being trailed in Queensland. These Drug Courts focus on identifying drug dependent persons and utilising sentencing options and rehabilitation programs.

Last updated 09/12/2005

This is from the qld police website

I know of a fella that got 15 years in Woodford for making speed, I have a hard time feeling sad he was busted, I think the speed scene is nasty, but he wasn't much more than a kid, and that length of time is pretty wild.

The Laws in Qld are profound, and so while on this issue there's something I think every smoker in Qld needs to know.

The police in Qld can buy and sell drugs at any level without express permission from the courts. Usually a polic eofficer selling or buying drugs needs prior consent from the courts for each operation. That might give the cop many months of open slather in other states.

But in Qld, it's all year round every cop, no court approval required. It was passed so that cops could easily move in and around the culture without being picked out as cops. So they could be offered a smoke by the neighbor unwittingly, and so copper would legally, previosuly, have to decline. However now he can blow cones spontaneously, so that he can move easily "up the ladder" to get Mr. Big.

I suggested when this was announced (hard to say where I heard this, but earnestly, I swear it's all true).. this was passed to bust more kids with a joint. I also thought to myself (but keopt it to myself in my head at the time) it gives every cop in Qld the right to enjoy whatever drug he/she wants, where and when they please on such a flimsy reason. No cop can ever be busted in Qld again essentially.

A detective giving this announcment where I was that day, said it was so they coudl get hold of Mr. Big (his own words). He said they (cops) could use drugs wiothout fear of prosecutuin, so they fit in better. I told him if coppers go in plain clothes to a "Mr Big" type deal with "Mr. Big" himself (whoever the fuck that is), being stoned is about the silliest thing they could do. Likely to be written off at least if not killed for being so loose and stupid.

So be careful, theyhave unrestricted powers when it comes to drugs up there.

this is what I was talking about in another thread. Something about poiitics in Qld doesn't make sense. Under the NAtioanls with mad Joe, it was horrid, and everyone was sure when Labor came in things would be different. Qld has had labor guys ranting about backing off for years, but in reality the laws are tougher than ever. To be fair I think the police sitaution is better, they're truly a better bunch than under Joe (and it takes a lot to get me to say that), but cops don't need speciifci court permission to buy, sell or use guys, remember it.

cheers

rob