What is a better option...clone help plz

1. To clone my plants when they are vegging, right before i switch to flower. The drawback is that they will be sitting dormant for 2 months while the plants flower and finish up.

2. To clone plants that are flowering to cut down the time they will be sitting around.

I would love to have a mother plant, but i just don't have the space or money to get another room going. Can i keep recloning my plants over and over, or will the keep getting less potent/less yield the more i do so?

thanks guys

What i usually do is take 2 cutting and root them

then put them under a 250w or 400w in small pots and veg them for about 4 weeks and take new cutting off of that then keep the mums trimmed and then take more cuttings when needed and then after about 2 grows i flower the mum and start again

hope that helps

cheerz :thumbdown:

hey,

Personally id clone just before flower.. let them root for 2-3 weeks then veg for few weeks in 4" pot then either bonsai or rootbound the mums... till ready to use... all under fluro or cfl... if they get too big too quick low stress train or just reclone the top off and dump plant....

Yeah I do the same as Cloner and it seems to time itself well. Remember to give the plants a week to recuperate from the prune before flipping 12/12...

Jimbo :thumbdown:

1. To clone my plants when they are vegging, right before i switch to flower. The drawback is that they will be sitting dormant for 2 months while the plants flower and finish up.

2. To clone plants that are flowering to cut down the time they will be sitting around.

I would love to have a mother plant, but i just don't have the space or money to get another room going. Can i keep recloning my plants over and over, or will the keep getting less potent/less yield the more i do so?

thanks guys

You could try keeping a bonsai mum in your veg room, wont take up much space and no need for an extra grow space.

The clone of a clone jury is still out as far as I'm personally concerned.. I believe it to be a matter of strain as to whether you will have any ill effects. It should also be remembered that the user will develop a certain amount of tolerance to a particular strain after a while, especially if you're a heavy user.

My personal advice would be if you have a couple of mates who grow, start a clone swapping club. Each of you can keep 1 mother and swap clones as you require, it also means if something happens to your favourite strain then you have offsite backups ;)

DUD :D

The clone of a clone jury is still out as far as I'm personally concerned.

How long does this jury have to sit before you're satisfied of the verdict?

I have been propagating Sweet Tooth #4 by cuttings for about 6 years. Sprouted the beans in 2002, I think. I replace my mums with a clone from them about every 8 weeks, sometimes longer.

Just because a branch is cut off a donor plant and caused to set root does not change the DNA in the cutting in any way. It's genetically identical to the plant it came from. If nothing changes the DNA, the character of the cutting is not going to be any different from the donor. This can go on ad-infinitum.

Even if the donor plant is treated badly or if cuttings are taken when the donor is in flower, as long as you can get it to set root, the cuttings can be returned to normal, healthy vegetative growing habit, simply if given correct conditions, a few prunings and sufficient time to regrow new material.

Once you sprout a bean, you can keep propagating it by cloning, quite literally forever. Just got to keep a mum in constant veg and replace the mums now and again with one of their 'kids.'

How long does this jury have to sit before you're satisfied of the verdict?

I have been propagating Sweet Tooth #4 by cuttings for about 6 years. Sprouted the beans in 2002, I think. I replace my mums with a clone from them about every 8 weeks, sometimes longer.

Just because a branch is cut off a donor plant and caused to set root does not change the DNA in the cutting in any way. It's genetically identical to the plant it came from. If nothing changes the DNA, the character of the cutting is not going to be any different from the donor. This can go on ad-infinitum.

Even if the donor plant is treated badly or if cuttings are taken when the donor is in flower, as long as you can get it to set root, the cuttings can be returned to normal, healthy vegetative growing habit, simply if given correct conditions, a few prunings and sufficient time to regrow new material.

Once you sprout a bean, you can keep propagating it by cloning, quite literally forever. Just got to keep a mum in constant veg and replace the mums now and again with one of their 'kids.'

If this is true, why cant your just keep cloning clones and forget the mum as in my case?

If this is true, why cant your just keep cloning clones and forget the mum as in my case?

As long as you are getting cuttings from a plant in veg mode, you're good to go. Your cuttings will be rooted and ready to veg or flower in about 10 days. If you don't need more plants put in to flower in 10 days, you have to do something with the cuttings until you are ready.

However... if you are only taking cuttings from plants you intend to flower, you can have big trouble down the track. A mum is a necessary insurance policy against loss of a strain or long periods of poor productivity.

If the plants you took cuttings from are then sent on to flower, and for some odd reason your clones fail to root, you won't have a source of new veg mode material for another pass of cuttings. You'd have to take cuttings from the plants which have been flowering for a couple of weeks. Cuttings taken from a plant which has been in flower for more than a week or so are notoriously slow to root.

There's other problems you'll have if you try to veg up a cutting that has been flowering. It will display some odd intermediate sorts of growth habits while returning to veg such as 1 or 3 bladed fan leaves and slow vertical growth. Takes about 4-6 weeks for a cutting taken from a flowering plant to fully return to veg mode; has to be pruned back once or twice as well before it will start growing in purely veg habit.

Keeping mums is not a big deal. Doesn't take much space and you can even raise them under fluoros if you like. The benefits and convenience are huge by comparison to the effort. You're much better off having a mum sitting around idling under veg cycle lighting, ready to yield some cuttings exactly when you need them.

Ok, I don't have ANY experience in this field. I've only just started growing, from seed, but from what I have read doing the whole clone from a clone from a clone from a clone and so on shouldn't affect the plant's potency...

Personally I would clone from a vegging 'donor', veg the donor till it's recovered, and put the donor into flower. And with the clone/s I would veg them till I'm nearly ready to turn them to flower, take clones from those clones and continue the process "ad-infinitum" as Al put it. :greedy:

But what do I know. I'm just a neophyte who's read everything she can get her eyes on! :D

Cheers and best of luck.

;) ~M.