Help please

Hi peoples,

A friend of a friend has been having a small problem with one of his Sweet Tooth 3 canna plants.

He was growing a few in smaller (maybe 3 liter pots) and all was going fine, was looking green and fresh.

He knows he may have left the STs in the smaller pots for abit longer then whats recommended but i dont think they got rootbound as there was they where looking very fine..

Annyways, he ended up repotting them into bigger pots a week and a halfa go or so, and all was looking fine, but after a week or so in, he started noticing the older parts of the stems (not the main stalk) but more the branches and leaf stems started to turn purple and and the stems started getting thinner.

Ontop of that the "branches off the branches" pretty much stunted in growing,the ones that are creaping up are really thin and slowly start turning purple aswell.

My friend has had a few bad runs lately and really wants this grow to go it to its full potential.

Iv looked at afew of the problem posts on the forum but cannot find a definitive answer so decided to make me a post n ask the more experienced people directly, Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

Background information - when they where in the smaller pots, they where in standard potting mix with no perlite or nothing like that, he fertilized with only Fish Emulsion. they grew good, but never branched out much coz of the pot restrictions.

Anyway, when he transpanted into the bigger pots, he made sure to saturate the roots and break little peices off for the roots to spead in the bigger pots ( just in case they did get rootbound in the lil pots)..The soil he used for the bigger pots was Osmacote Multi Purpose (slow release fert) and a good mix of perlite.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get as much info out there as possible, so if anyone has any clue on what might be a problem ppplease help lemme know.

Thanks a Million people.

Some picks to help out,sorry if they aint the best.

post-4614-1202224068_thumb.jpg post-4614-1202224163_thumb.jpg post-4614-1202224233_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flange

hey,

Well personally I think nothing is wrong except the late repot and at a guess the purple stems is cold weather or cold water temps.. The thin stems wouldnt concern me... the stunted growth would be because the plant was rootbound then potted up so it has now got room to throw roots so it is and cant be arsed growing for a few days to a week.. Personally wouldnt be too concerned and a few qs..was the stunted one the most rootbound? how much bigger are the new pots they are in?... can u see roots out the bottom of pot? think thats when they will bounce back and scare you with new growth...

Hey cloner,

Thanks heaps for the reply,really makes me feel more at ease an less worried :wave:.

About your questions, The stunted one was the biggest of the lot when they where in the smaller pots,(most the others are doing fine,cept for some slight yellowing in the bottom leaves and slowish branch growth).

The pots they where transplanted to are around 10ish liters and i havent seen any roots at the bottom as of yet,but i can see some thin roots spreading to the edges of the pots on the top layer so the roots must have started spreading out abit but not to much yet..they havent been in for too long so i guess ittle just take time for it to really get a hold of the soil??

Another thing is, altho the soil has slow release food for upto 4 mounts, i dident notice that fact till after i gave em a small dose of fish emulsion within the first weak of tranplant, was that a bad move? or would it be better not to feed them at all for awhile?

Also when watering newly tranplanted plants, how should the water situation go? should i keep the soil wet or only water when leave droop? iv heard its good to water alot for the first little while after transplant so the roots can reach out to it but im not 100% sure.

So you reckon to just not worry n see how they go?

Thanks again cloner :thumbdown:

Edited by Flange

hey,

Yea to me it sounds like the big one was rootbound.. Should come back no worries just take a little while longer, next time smash the root system up a little more if they are rootbound will make them throw new roots easier... Unsure with soil mix as just not my thing... sure someone else can chime in on whats right there thou...

I suspect Cloner is 100% correct in his opinion, dont worry about the purple stem colour thats nothing unusual in Cannabis at all ..

if you worried about skinny stems on plants grown indoors it helps to have fan gently pushing air through the plant and that can help strenghten the stems, cause its not got the natural wind that it would have if grown outdoors .. but that is only suggestion its not essential

best o' luck with them :thumbdown:

purple, thin stems is caused by a K defiency

mostly caused by shock

a plant can use up all of its available K supply in 1hr

it is usually only temp tho

but for the quickest recovery u can sup K

with Liquid seaweed

increase K in yah nutreint solution

whenever a cold front is commin

or any forseeable comming event that will cause shock

awrrrr then she look so happy

i wouldnt worrie too much