Growing Pains

I have dabbled with growing in the past but never seriously. I have been a buyer for years and years.

Now circumstances have changed and I need to grow for ourselves.

I feel like the pressure is on.

As luck would have it our first two plants were boys. Just what we needed I must say.

The remaining plant from that batch it about 85cm tall but I can’t tell the sex.

As far as growth goes it seems to be marking time the past couple of weeks.

I have bad vibes that this is a boy too. Three strike outs from three is a bit depressing.

I have three babies coming along but they are tiny.

I am growing in pots with premium potting mix and use Seasol and/or Thrive.

I live in a sub-tropical climate so growing conditions are pretty good all year round.

The seed I have has a no better than 50/50 germination rate and the failure rate after germination is high too. They just seem to be weak and often die after popping their ‘heads’ through the surface.

As far as growing plants goes we have a pretty nice garden but with these babies we are real newbies.

Is cannabis in general a slow growing plant?

BTW I notice these plants give out a pretty strong odour and I have heard in the past this a lot more pronounced at flowering.

Is this a fact?

Is it true you can cut the top off a plant to make it more bushy?

Can you keep the plant growing while you ‘prune off’ what you need or does the plant die after flowering?

I seem to be getting a bit more paranoid as the years roll by. It’s probably because I wouldn’t like to get busted at my age. It would be embarrassing because I’m a pretty private person.

I hope you don’t mind the ramblings of an older first timer grower. Any helpful comments are greatly appreciated.

just treat it as any other veges in the garden... its just a weed really.. and does grow relatively quick, of course depending on conditions..

yes.. it will stink a lot more in flowering.. wouldnt be too worried tho..

yes you can take the crown out to make it more bushy... but instead if doing that.. just tie it over to let the bottom branches grow upwards.. shape it where you want..

and most plants will die off after harvest.. but in some conditions they can be regrown.. and reflowered year after year.. just as easy to harvest the buds and run the stalks through a mulcher.. replenishing the ground for next year..

if youve got yourself a healthy vege patch.. then you should be ok at growing MJ.. its not hard..

also with the seeds.. just plant out heaps of them.. like 50.. youll get a female.. or a few... then pick the best ones.. survival of the fittest.. also might pay to keep a male for pollen to make some new seeds.. these ones sound like they maybe too old.. or not stored well.. any idea on the strain?

Thanks for the reply.

The seeds are just ones from recent purchases. The stuff was okay so I'm hoping the genes in the seeds are the same.

This is my only source for seeds.

I have noted your advice. Truth be told I am most likely trying too hard.

Even though I have looked at photos of both sexes I am finding sexing the plants difficult.

I have even read where you can't tell the sex until flowering.

I have also read where the male plant is taller and thinner.

My previous plants had thin heads with little white flowers. I surmised they were males.

Are the male plants totally useless (ie no THC).

There is nothing like practical experience so I will get more knowledge as the weeks go by.

All I really want is a girl or two. :bow: