HEAVY pot SMOKERS will suffer serious lung disease

January 24, 2008 09:28am

HEAVY pot smokers will suffer serious lung disease two decades earlier than their cigarette-smoking counterparts, and the style of dope smoking is to blame.

The deep, slow inhalation and long breath hold is predisposing cannabis smokers to a condition of rapid lung destruction much younger in life, a study by Melbourne researchers has found.

A team from the Department of Allergy, Immunology and Respiratory Medicine at Monash University reviewed the lung condition of middle-aged chronic cannabis smokers.

They found high rates of bullous lung disease, a debilitating condition where air trapped in the lungs causes obstruction to breathing and eventual destruction of the organ.

It is often caused by exposure to toxic chemicals or long-term exposure to tobacco smoke.

Studies have shown the disease will most likely strike tobacco smokers around the age of 65, but the new review, published in the journal Respirology, shows dope smokers are being hit 20 years earlier, while in their early 40s.

Lead author Dr Matthew Naughton said the disease could easily go undetected as patients suffering lung breakdown may show normal chest X-rays and lung functions.

"What is outstanding about this study is the relatively young ages of the lung disease patients, as well as the lack of abnormality on chest X-rays and lung functions in nearly half of the patients we tested," Dr Naughton said.

Marijuana smokers inhale more and hold their breath four times longer than cigarette smokers.

Dr Naughton said the breathing style increased the concentration and pulmonary deposition of inhaled particulate matter, causing greater and faster rapid lung destruction.

"Marijuana is inhaled as extremely hot fumes to the peak inspiration and held for as long as possible before slow exhalation," he said.

"This predisposes to greater damage to the lungs and makes marijuana smokers more prone to bullous disease as compared to cigarette smokers."

The researchers said the effects of marijuana smokers on the lung were rarely reported and poorly understood considering the popularity of the habit.

A recent Australian Institute of Health and Welfare report suggested 11 per cent of Australians smoke marijuana. Rates are must higher among teenagers, with almost one in five trying the substance.

what about people who cook and eat it or use a vaporiser???

yup and that goes for banning bongs as well.

harm minimisation doesn't seem to apply to stoners.

I'd like to see the details of this research as well. Probably just as flawed and biased as most other anti cannabis research.

It would be very rare to find a long term pot smoker who didn't also smoke a shitload of tobacco in their time, so not sure how they make the distinction.

In another 20 years or so we may see some different results, with more and more people using vapourisers. Unfortunately we have to educate ourselves on healthier options, as our governments refuse to do it.

It sounds like some of you are almost starting to accept that; it is a clearly a biased research project, and; consequently, negative propaganda.

Just because it is negative to cannabis does not make it automatically wrong, or propaganda. If you inhale burning plant material into your lungs frequently for a long period of time then it seems logical to me that it might not be good for you. I would like to know more details (or perhaps I am better off not knowing), like how much, for how long e.t.c. Glad I vape now but I am at the age where according to this study I should be getting problems. Any older stoners out there have any problems? Some of those original Nimbin types must be well into their 60's. Why haven't we heard of this before now. I also smoked ciggies for years so, like pipeman says, this will bias any research.

harm minimisation doesn't seem to apply to stoners.

No it doesn't and its a disgrace. The government seems happy to leave us with the unhealthiest options of rollie papers and orchy bottles. I presume vaporisers got banned along with bongs? Maybe we can start a class action sometime in the future. Duty of care? If we can still breath.

It would be very rare to find a long term pot smoker who didn't also smoke a shitload of tobacco in their time, so not sure how they make the distinction.

I agree

If people were not forced to mix it with tobacco, inhale deeply and hold to get the maxium concentration for the desired effect due to proabition reduced supply.

The figures might might be very similar to tobacco or for such substances as dust.

I agree

If people were not forced to mix it with tobacco, inhale deeply and hold to get the maxium concentration for the desired effect due to proabition reduced supply.

The figures might might be very similar to tobacco or for such substances as dust.

No one is forced to spin their pot...........especially with tobacco.

That is true. Americans have never mixed tobacco in with weed.

It is not necessary to take huge hits and hold it in. Once the THC is absorbed there is no more and that takes only seconds. The fact is that holding in the smoke makes one feel high faster because of oxygen deprivation.

Try smaller hits and let it out after a count of 3, you will find you get the same effect without all the choking.

That is true. Americans have never mixed tobacco in with weed.

Not many people do it around here either (South Australia), seem's to be more of an eastern seaboard thing, just about everyone seem's to do it over there from what I've seen on my travels.

I should put myself up for testing, I can count the number of smokes I've had in my life on one hand, I choof cones pretty much daily however been doing so since 1998. I reckon my lungs feel alright, I can still make it for a run round the block when I can be bothered :bongon:. Be interesting to see how my lung's are. I usually smoke bongs.