medical marijuana for S.A.

elbhar

Question

MARIJUANA would be prescribed by doctors in South Australia for medicinal purposes under planned legislation.

Democrats MP Sandra Kanck yesterday said a bill was being drafted to prevent people using the drug for medicinal purposes from being fined.

She said some doctors already were advising patients to use marijuana to help manage their pain.

Australian Medical Association state president Chris Cain has supported the move but only if certain conditions are met.

"We don't disagree with the concept of marijuana for medicinal purposes but it needs to be in a standardised form," he said.

But the AMA doesn't support inhaled marijuana.

Anti-drugs MP Ann Bressington said the move sent the wrong message about drug use.

anyone heard of anything later???

6 answers to this question

Why doesn't the AMA support inhaled marijuana?

I keep hearing contradictions out of the AMA - one guy says medical cannabis is great, that smoking is an effective delivery mechanism and that we need to get over its stygma, then another guy says the opposite. State and National AMA bodies are just confusing the issue, themselves, and their message. Ha - they are "sending the wrong message".... get it? *sigh*

If anyone is in need of education by medicinal users, activists, and the cannabis community in general it is the AMA.

"Inhaled Marijuana" will include whole-plant derived cannabinoid medicines used through an inhaler or nebuliser, which is probably the most effective and safest way to consume cannabis.

It also includes the Volcano. Storz & Bickel say they are pursuing medical device certification in the EU. What is wrong with using herbal cannabis in a safe and effective manner? What do they think constitutes cannabis "in a standardised form"? NIDA SCHWAG?!? Why are they not calling for local research into the options for standardised forms? Prime examples being Cannasat whole-plant derivatives, the Canadian and US markets, and now Israel's medicinal use model (should hit the news soon - Phillipe Lucas of VICS has been consulting with them throughout 2007 and they are weeks from launching a non-profit to run the program!).

No-one in the Australian medical and scientific community dares touch this issue! They want someone else to take the heat, even just for stating the bloody obvious and pointing out the current body of knowledge!

I really think educating the AMA should be a priority for Australian cannabis users, and efforts made to harmonise their position at a national level - they either support cannabinoid medicines or they do not.

niall the Doctor's Union (AMA) (both national and state) will not support any form of Cannabis medication that does not involve a company rep taking them out to lunch, or paying for them to attend a "seminar" on the Gold Coast.

The very idea of a patient actually having total control over the dosage and strength of their medication, let alone the manufacture of that medication sends shivers down the kickback loving spine of the Doctors Association.

I worked it out that my wife and I by using cannabis to reduce (not eliminate) our pharmaceutical drug requirements, save the PBS (and by extension, cost the pharma companies) somewhere in the order of $8000 per year, and another $500 saved for Medicare from doctors visits for script repeats/adjustments. (Ask your pharmacist next time you fill a script what the actual price of the medicine is that will be charged to the Govt/PBS)

The Govt is starting to realise (and has I believe recently fined some companies) that these kickbacks are costing millions in unnecessary scripts being filled each year.

Have to agree with niall, it does seem like someone is continually running interference.

And also agree completely with DuD. Cannabis reduces a huge burden from the tax payer funded PBS, every day in Australia.

Seems like Dr Cain would prefer a 'standardized form'. Would have thought a flower, grown on a plant, is fairly standard.

Perhaps he means a standard dose rate, like a tablet. How do we know that only one tablet will be consumed is the q..

In light of firstly, the creation of the national cannabis information prevention centre ( NCPIC), with a budget of around 12 million over 4 years - as an arm of NDARC...

And with the SA AMA not changing their view toward medical cannabis since 98, there's obviously no push behind the supposed bill draft. :applause:

AMA stance for med cannabis is behind the 05 report of the Royal College of Physicians of London, which contends that there are only two recognised medical indications for thc; ( which are currently not available in Australia..)

- chemo anti nausea

- hiv wasting/ anti nausea

with other possible indications being

- as a pain reliever

- treating neurological disorders such as multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, and some

movement disorders, particularly where there is muscle spasticity or tremor

- reduction of intra-ocular pressure in glaucoma

Some notes.. :peace:

AMA SA...

'Cannabis and Legislation

“Prohibition is the cause of a significant proportion of the health costs associated

with illicit drug use and it hinders the achievement of the objective of harm minimisation”

Research indicates that the introduction of liberal drug laws may result in a slight increase in

temporary drug use but that it is unlikely to increase, and may even decrease, drug related health costs. '

-----

Before prohibition treatments -

Pre 1937 Cannabis Therapeutic Uses

1. Analgesic-Hypnotic

2. Appetite stimulant

3. Anti-epileptic-antispasmodic

4. Prophylactic and treatment of the neuralgias, including migraine and tic doloreux

5. Antitussive

6. Antidepressant-tranquilizer

7. Anti-asthmatic

8. Oxytocic

9. Topical anesthetic

10. Withdrawal agent and substitute for opiate, chloral, and alcohol dependence

11. Childbirth analgesic

------

some recent global medicinal cannabis treatment/current findings/trends toward synthetic -

Aids wasting and treatment nausea - dronabinol ( marinol)

MS - sativex

Eases painful memories/ anxiety - smoked 'most efficient delivery', developing aerosol (sativex ??)

Lowers bp - synthetic cannabigerol

May spur new brain cells growth - synthetic cannabinoid known as HU210

May block alzheimers and for treatment maintenance - synthetic thc dronabinol ( marinol)

Prevents brain damage - dexanabinol

PLEASE!

I need help. I am a 40 yr Gulf War vet dying with brain cancer. I had to move to Melbourne from NSW far nth coast to find a Dr. Didnt work and this cancer is not going to go away. Back at home I had easy access but here I dont know a soul, a smoke is the greatest pain killer of the lot and sleeeping tablet. A Psychologist is trying to find a doc to prescribe but the keep saying its a moral issue. A bloody dying man cant even get a smoke.

I am in Melton but I will catch a taxi any bloody where its been 2mths. Please somebody reply or send me an email I need a friend.

Bevan

PLEASE!

I need help. I am a 40 yr Gulf War vet dying with brain cancer. I had to move to Melbourne from NSW far nth coast to find a Dr. Didnt work and this cancer is not going to go away. Back at home I had easy access but here I dont know a soul, a smoke is the greatest pain killer of the lot and sleeeping tablet. A Psychologist is trying to find a doc to prescribe but the keep saying its a moral issue. A bloody dying man cant even get a smoke.

I am in Melton but I will catch a taxi any bloody where its been 2mths. Please somebody reply or send me an email I need a friend.

Bevan

We all need friends Bevan, but if your trying to score, this isn't the place to do it mate. If I met you in the street or down the pub I'd be only too happy to help you out, but this website we love so much is not worth risking by giving authorities the ammunition they'd need to shut it down.

I sincerely feel for you and hope that you can find doc with the balls to lobby on your behalf for legalisation, but your best bet is to get a friend/relative to start scanning the streets and pubs etc. for some buds for you.

Is growing your own out of the question?

This is at the bottom of every page of OzStoners, please respect it, for all our sakes :peace:

Warning / Disclaimer: This site contains information regarding cannabis / marijuana & other drugs, it is designed for mature audiences. The content displayed on this site is for entertainment and educational purposes only. This site in no way condones the use of cannabis / marijuana or viewing of this controversial material by minors. Dealing of cannabis / marijuana is strictly prohibited on this site.

I hope you find some relief :applause: