Polymer water crystals

I've been looking for effective ways to improve water retention and cut down watering frequency out in the bush. Currently, I find it very effective to dig a 50cm x 50cm hole, line the bottom with plastic and fill using soil made up of 40% composted sheep and chook shit, 25% wormcastings, 10% coco peat, 10% verm/perlite, 15% bush sand at site. I have lately added about 1L of expanded polymer water crystals to the soil in large clumps 10cm under, on the edge of the holes, to about 4 plants. This seems to be relieving the drought remarkably but I've read mixed reviews about these crystals. Some say they are fine for organic farming while others say they make the bud taste like plastic. WHat are you guys's thoughts on using these crystals? Cheers

I did a bit research into fytocell and haven't found anything about it reducing watering frequency. Other than that it looks good for frequent watering use. Yesterday I established a new site and used a little contraption i rigged up. I filled a 2L milk bottle with expanded polymer crystals and then attached a 1m long hose to the end as wide as the rim. i then filled the hose with crystals and taped them together. Then I punched 5mm holes all over the hose and top of the bottle. then i dug the bottle into the bottom of the hole and wrapped the hose around the side ofg the hole to the top, and buried it witht the hose stickng out the tope10mm and capped the hose with plastic. I'm planning on leaving for 2 weeks before filling the chamber again with liquid ferts + water.

Thanks Granny. I've read elsewhere that it is safe to use on organic crops and is completely biodegradable after 7 cycles. I think the only thing you need to look out for is they float to the top if you put them directly in soil. i instead buried a few small pots, full of crystals with shade cloth wired to the rim, upside down. I also put a 100mm x 30mm hose throught the bottom of the pot which sticks out the soil 10mm, for refill. i'm hope this will allow small amounts of water to trickle down to the lower roots and eventually keep the entire soil mass to moist enough to allow minimal watering. t is a great way to apply liquid ferts that will be absorb by the plant directly. I also used water saving mulch which is simply excellent for moisture retention, and keeps the root zone nice and cool. lol

Gday Caliban

Iv only used the water crystals acouple of times and havent noticed a plastic taste.. lol

I used to layer the hole with crystals..say soil around 3inch deep than a sprinke of crystals and so on..

But the first time i used crystals i packed the hole with a shit load of water crystal and soil..But when it rained the water crystals expanded that much it pushed a few plants out of there holes.. B)

If ya got a dig cam it would be nice to see a photo or two of the babys..

Dallas lol