Growing season ACT

Hi Folks,

I have searched around for a little bit and didn't really find the answer I was after -

I just got a variety of seeds from a friend in the north of the country. Just wondering if it’s too late to sow them in the ACT for any results in an outdoor setting. I have a greenhouse to protect them from the Canberra cold but imagine hours of sunlight are of more concern.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Unfortuanly I won't be able to light artificially.... yet.

Cheers :bongon:

you would have probably been better off planting your seeds around october or november for the best results, however you could still put some beans down and get a result. it just wont be as good a yeild and maybe quality as if you had of got them in earlier. a good rule of thumb with mj is there are really no rules, we're all learning more every day, so why not experiment a bit and find out what the ideal conditions are in your area. growing is far more addictive than smoking your favourite herb, always trying to better your last grow hey...... anyway give it a go and happy growing. :bongon:

Yeah I thought that might be the case - I will plant them and see what happens - I hope to at least be able to take some female clones for next year.

I'm still keen to see what I can do with the greenhouse - its won't be heated in winter but I should be able to keep my other plants frost free and alive.

thanks mate.

I think it would be the same as the east coast which is plant fathers day - harvest mothers day

That sounds nice, but it's a myth that should be laid to rest, a bit like 'standing in fresh cow pats will make you grow faster' :peace:

In my experience, September is too early to sow outdoors here in Qld unless you intend nursing monster plants through the heat of January, especially when similar yeilds can be had by sowing in mid-late October and save a considerable amount of effort.

As for harvest, well that's obviously affected by far too many variables to book it in for a particular date on the calendar.

How about 'Sow when it's warmed up a bit and harvest when your buds are ripe'.

:applause:

Hi guys,

More newbie advice please...

Re: The aforementioned seeds and growing season...

The seeds germinated really well under fluros inside. They got to about 2 inch (at best) - I transferred them outside under a 50% shade cloth and planned on potting into their own pots and moving into more sun when they put on a bit of size....

Well nothing much has happened - I fed them a bit of liquid fert, watered...

Any advice?

Cheers

From what I can decipher from a very cheesy poster involving a gnome that I got from Nimbin Mard Grass about 7 years ago...

September for summer and Feb through to June for a short winter harvest...

Whether this is accurate I don't know... seems like a very short grow length for the Feb plant...

As to the second problem I don't know why you aren't seeing growth but if they are still on their first/second set of true leaves I wouldn't be throwing any fert at them if they are in soil.

Here is the soil recipe I used this grow which might help, check my thread here in the outdoor grow section to see the progress, I have only just started using half strength (quater tsp) of superthrive with my water....

half bag of potting mix

half a bag of cow shit

half a dozen cups of blood and bone

3/4 cup of epsom salts

couple cups of dolomite

tsp of trace elements

couple cups of kelp meal

I'm no expert as to what that all does. Just adjusted it from recipes of more knowledgeable people that were floating around the net

Get them into their own pots asap. I'm not sure what you are using but I will never be using soil germ trays when growing from seed again. I find the root system doesn't develop enough by the time they have their first set of true leaves and need to transplant into their own pots.