Larry made me smoke pot

Larry made me smoke pot

Tyron Butson

04Dec07

A 20-year-old man who developed a sophisticated drug set-up because he was depressed, after seeing the effects of Cyclone Larry, has been sentenced to one year's jail.

Jeffrey Peter Lines, of Miriwinni south of Cairns, was sentenced in Cairns Supreme Court yesterday.

He was granted immediate parole with two years’ probation after being convicted of possession of a dangerous drug, producing a dangerous drug and possession of items used in an illegal matter.

The court heard police found 41 potted cannabis plants, ranging from one to four metres in height, on his property during a raid on February 1, 2007.

Police also alleged the plants were watered by a hi-tech system using irrigation and water barrels, which had been set up on the property.

Dried cannabis plants were also found, along with the barrels and irrigation equipment.

But Lines’s defence lawyer Rowan Silva said his client’s drug use was because of the severe depression he had slumped into after the devastation of Cyclone Larry.

"He said he would ‘smoke himself into oblivion’," he told the court.

Mr Silva said his client was glad when police arrived because it would stop cannabis smoking.

The court heard Lines was smoking numerous joints each day, to help cope with his depression.

Justice Stanley Jones said his sentence reflected the nature of the defendant’s depression and that much of the drugs would have been used for personal use.

The Cairns Post

:P

developed a sophisticated drug set-up

pot plants in soil? yeah the housewife next door has a sophisticated drug setup as well, but she only uses hers for tomatoes and basil.

hi-tech system using irrigation

yeah 13mm pipe connected to a barrel with dripper lines is pretty high tech.

wankers.

He said he would ‘smoke himself into oblivion…’

Never could do mathematics, was good at arithmetic, excelled at English and spent a lot of time in the library reading religion, philosophy and unconventional history. I guess it’s using common knowledge differently. Got hooked on T.S. Eliot at about the same time as I discovered Nietzsche; so, all in all, I have been pretty fucked up from pretty early on.

I didn’t have a scientific mind. A number of ‘planets’ all misplaced in Cancer, mummy’s boy, biorhythms all wrong and didn’t go to pre-school. These facts, as much as anything else, predisposed my options. I guess that’s why a stone to me has always been essentially spiritual; enlivening the poets who have provided me with seminal influence – Eliot, Philip Larkin and John Cooper-Clarke; the lyricists who have ghost-written my life - Bryan Ferry, Elvis Costello, Graham Parker and Rupert Hine. While other kids were training for the sports teams, I was reading translations of Kierkegaard, listening to Roxy Music and wondering why girls didn’t like me.

From my earliest recollections I was just this side of weird – at least most of the time. I’m talking before Infants’ School. The romance of the irrational has persisted all my life: from a dreamy child of the sixties through the hash smoking eighties, then on to furtive home growing in the early years of a new century. The profound and illogical has relentlessly stalked and furtively snared me through Magick, religion, psychology, politics, history, poetry and love - once. Lots of bad influences.

Did University - long frustrated days and rejected nights - storm clouds brewing incidentally on the horizon. If noticed, barely tolerated by the politically aware. Wrong suburb, public school, improper tie! I was smoking a pipe back then too and hanging around the shelves of the Religious Studies section looking for hot young femme fatales. Misdirected! University toilets really had intriguing graffiti – much of it artistic. And I have learnt a great deal from toilet walls. Mine are the endless sterile corridors, the moon through a dirty window and face without a name.

Having made enough cowardly amends to outlast a lifetime I try to stay shit-faced these days… “I keep my countenance. I remain self-possessed.” The loosened tie and sticky suit peak-hour of getting home late from a greying, disinterested city are as long gone as any regrets. Infertile opportunities as wasted as spilt sinsemella mull or tracking down a phantom that walked away into the smoke.

Staying subdued and meditative I search for meaning and understanding in a world of stunts. Political fads so obvious that a couple of minutes of thought would dispel them remain as idols untouched; because thought is tiresome and a couple of minutes is a long time. I look over the rooftops with prayerful distain to the softness of Mary’s fragrant whispering. I have seen other people kill their days before mid-morning whereas I’m just getting ready. I see willing victims responding on cue, shuffling in queues; bedraggled emotions tiring in the street as the elderly, infirm, obese, the apprehensive and challenged congregate around a pre-fab dream that only money can buy.

Often I take the first sacramental toke at about 7:30 am. I call it ‘Toasting the Day’. I pour a cup of pot-brewed tea, hand feed the ‘wild’ kookaburras and assess the daylight through a haze of pipe tobacco. I take the time to cook breakfast, have a shower, shave and dress. After that I brew more tea and take some cones. I do a lot of reading and cannabis helps my eyesight while massaging away preconditioned prejudice. I do a lot of cooking and marijuana helps me plan, execute and enjoy my dishes. I use dope to help me do housework, go shopping, think, write and exist because it unfetters circumstances and loosens the soul.

To those sad types, who through ignorance or spite would deny me my simple atonement there is nothing I can say. The facts never get in the way. Yet since time immemorial pot has been a refuge within reality. And I too am a refugee.

Al.

I do a lot of reading and cannabis helps my eyesight while massaging away preconditioned prejudice. I do a lot of cooking and marijuana helps me plan, execute and enjoy my dishes. I use dope to help me do housework, go shopping, think, write and exist because it unfetters circumstances and loosens the soul

Beautiful. The whole read was great, but the underlined bit really did it for me.