60 per cent of Aboriginies smoke marijuana

ABOUT 60 per cent of Aborigines smoke marijuana regularly and most of those get stoned every day, a Northern Territory study shows.

New figures on cannabis rates among indigenous people show a drug use rate far higher than the Australian average, with researchers saying it is "firmly entwined" in the society.

Researchers at James Cook University in Cairns and the University of Sydney surveyed 164 people in Arnhem Land in 2006 and found 61 per cent of men and 58 per cent of women used cannabis at least weekly.

In-depth interviews with 60 users found that 92 per cent of the men and 78 per cent of the women smoke it daily, according to the study published in the Medical Journal of Australia.

Almost 90 per cent appeared to be dependent on the drug, compared with just 20 per cent of dope users generally.

They were also likely to use dope in far greater quantities, smoking an average of seven 'cones' in one session, more than double the Australian average.

"Quantities of cannabis used appear to be higher than in the general population, unemployment among users is higher and violence related to diminished supply is common," the authors wrote.

One indigenous community leader interviewed by the team was quoted saying 'if there's a bowl of it on the table it is smoked until gone, morning to night'.

Some said it could have good effects, calming people down and "preventing them from engaging in criminal behaviour".

However PhD student Kylie Lee and her senior colleagues said local elders were increasingly realising the significant social and mental health impact of the drug.

"Resources are urgently needed for prevention programs and targeted interventions for chronic cannabis users and those with (co-existing) psychiatric problems," she wrote.

"If these patterns of use continue the implications for ... the potential mental health burden is disturbing."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...5003402,00.html

no mention of the fact that 99% of abos are addicted to alcohol....and that this is the main cause of violence and sex crimes.

..a study of 164 people is a pretty small sample group....

..at least they mentioned that some black fellas said it helps to 'calm people down and prevent criminal behaviour'(other than the fact that smoking it is considered the act of a criminal)

..as for the idea that cannabis exacerbates existing mental problems or can actually cause them...thats just reefer madness talk/propaganda that was swallowed hook line and sinker by the medical establishment many moons ago and is now parroted as a truism by all the 'smart doctors'.....smart??.....eight years of medical school and all they can offer you is a pill in one hand and a knife in the other..geez..

geez we better give em back their alcohol then :peace:

man these fuckers are starting to give me the shits... was just listening to triplej hack and some article about the election and drugs... some mole said that she wants the government to crack down on cannabis because they havent been hard enough on this dangerous and addictive drug

ffs... i goto work everyday, i pay my taxes, and im a law abiding member of society... except for my cannabis usage... BUT WHERE THE FUCK DO THEY GET OFF TELLING ME WHAT I CAN AND CANT PUT INTO MY BODY!?!

these people just need to get a grip and realise they are the ones causing all this harm... not helping to prevent it

geez we better give em back their alcohol then :peace:

man these fuckers are starting to give me the shits... was just listening to triplej hack and some article about the election and drugs... some mole said that she wants the government to crack down on cannabis because they havent been hard enough on this dangerous and addictive drug

ffs... i goto work everyday, i pay my taxes, and im a law abiding member of society... except for my cannabis usage... BUT WHERE THE FUCK DO THEY GET OFF TELLING ME WHAT I CAN AND CANT PUT INTO MY BODY!?!

these people just need to get a grip and realise they are the ones causing all this harm... not helping to prevent it

Well said dude.

I to work hard and pay my taxes and think any hardening of the laws on marijuana are a pathetic attempt to demonise one substance whilst allowing other substance to be readily available ie bottle shops and pubs on every corner,,,have a look at any hospital near any city or town on a friday or saturday night and the amount of people admitted due to alcohol related issues compared to marijuana would prove what the far more evil substance is and dont forget all the drunk divers aswell......Alowing a few plants per person for personal use would free up a lot of wasted police and court time..........