Crackdown on drug-drivers

Pushy is ok but I believe in WA at least you can still be done for driving under the influence if you're riding a bike. Technically if your licence is suspended you're not allowed to ride a pushy to get to work etc. Obviously the chances of a copper booking you for that aren't great unless you shit on his lawn or something.

"It's time to get tough – don't say you weren't warned," Ms Bligh said yesterday after the state's road toll sped past 300.

Drivers will be tested for cannabis, ecstasy, speed and ice as well as breathalysed in roadside drug and alcohol blitzes around the state.

"The prospect of my family being on the same road as someone on ice terrifies me," Ms Bligh said.

As of yesterday, the state's road toll was 300 – 38 ahead of the same period last year.

Last year 335 people died on Queensland roads. The highest road toll in the past decade was 360 in 1997.

What kind of bullshit is this??? Numbers are meaningless unless they are expressed as percentages of the population. I'm sure everyone is aware of the population explosion that is happening in SE Qld. How many more drivers are on our roads this year as opposed to last year or five years ago? For all we know the road fatality RATE has gone down. And on top of this, there is absolutely no connection to these figures and drug use.

I think you hit the nail on the head 67, I think it will be very interesting to compare the stats after a couple of years of this bullshit. Unfortunately with the growth of the Qld population government coffers are very fat so they will continue to have the money to spend on political stunts like this. :rolleyes:

what's this test really like ?

what is goin to happen to the long term smokers ?(the ones that smoked for years an years) how long will it take for it to be out of your system ?

How long after you have a toke does it stay ?

I would Really like more info about this as i have a med user mate that's worried as all hell , Anyone pls :rolleyes:

ive herd vinager an bi carb can stop it detecting but is there really a fool proof way ?

im more worried if you have some that nite , an a few days later it still shows up , With they be only swabing your mouth or parts of the vehicle ?

Well they can't do anything about THE FUCKING WATER so it's time to go kick the drug addicts up the arse instead.

Fucking insurance companies, there just as big a parasites as these non productive politicians. Thanks to there fucked up drug policies/drug testing, amphetamine use is rampant in the mining industry now as it is easier to pass after a weekend on the gear than it is after smoking :rolleyes:

Fuck voting Labor :D

Vote GREEN

Diggin it, bufo, spot on as usual.

It's an election ploy, no more, no less.

The swab drug tests are renowned for inaccuracy. In my not so fucking humble opinion, especially after the frame-up of John DeJong down in Victoria, you're almost better off to refuse a 'roadside' drug screen than to take it and defend the high likelihood of an inaccurate result.

The purveyors of the DrugWipe swab warned the Vic govt against using it as they didn't think it was ready for a court challenge.

There's 2 kinds of cannabis swab tests; those which test for metabolites- the 'ash' of cannabis use in the body, and actual THC tests. Metabolite tests will show evidence of cannabis use up to 60 days after the fact (less for light smokers), but cannot determine whether the subject is intoxicated at the time of the test.

Direct THC swab tests, which ought to be able to detect present cannabis intoxication, have wildly varying trigger levels. Some folks up at NAPNT in Darwin who bought some swabs found that they could smoke and test straight away after and come up negative. Some tests were positive after 1 hour but not after 2, when the subject reported still feeling high. Keep in mind that the NAPNT tests were not terribly scientific as they only could afford 10 swabs.

THC and cannabis resin are soluble in ethanol, so swishing your mouth with a high-alcohol mouthwash (and spitting!) will go some way to beating the THC-type test.

If ever confronted with defending a roadside drug swab test, get a lawyer. These tests have nowhere near the reliability of alcolyzer results and should be challenged at any opportunity.

THC and cannabis resin are soluble in ethanol, so swishing your mouth with a high-alcohol mouthwash (and spitting!) will go some way to beating the THC-type test.

BreathTestee: Excuse me officer, now that we've done the breath test I'll just swig this alky before we do the swab, ok? :rolleyes:

bit of a drawback, innit? :rolleyes:

I DO recall stories where people lined up to be breath tested have made their lot in life worse by spraying perfume or cologne in their mouth. Perfumes are usually alcohol based- and if alcohol is present in your mouth, the alcolyzer won't care if it was the beer or your girlfriend's Chanel #5. :D

If you are in a big hurry and do the mouthwash thing, a thorough water rinse after the Listerine seems smart. Will prevent the alcohol in the mouthwash from being absorbed into the blood, but to prevent an alcolyzer reading, should be removed as much as possible from the mouth.

I probably ought to add that while the drug tests are not terribly accurate, I'm no advocate of driving high. You're too distractable when stoned. Be high at home with a bag of chips and a cat to pat.

It's a very rough rule o' thumb, but 4 hours between smoking and driving seems reasonable.

In all the variables that go into driver safety, I consider driving high to be the one of the least important.

State of mind is the most important factor in driver safety and is supported by the fact that drivers under the age of 25 have better hand eye coordination and reflexes than older drivers yet have a higher accident rate. With this in mind I think if getting high before you drive means you'll be happy and relaxed rather than anxious and aggressive I'd say its likely you're a safer driver when stoned. :rolleyes: