1000w HPS or HID

hey

hard rubbish was the other day and i got a complete 1000w setup, ballast globe and shade.

It seems to be one of thoes industrial type shop lights, and im just wondering wether its HPS or HID. I tryed to plug it in but the bulb must be shot.

I was thinking if the ballast was broken then it would probably trip the safety switch yeh ? well it didnt, but the globe didnt turn on so im guessing im up for a new bulb.

Anyone got any ideas on how to tell a HPS ballast from a HID ballast ?

cheers

also, what size room would a 1000w fit into ?>

hey,

HID is high intensity discharge all the ballasts are this.. some run HPS(high pressure sodium) or MH(metal halide) or MV(mercury vapour) hps and mh are growing lights mv are industrial lighting. There should be a data plate on the ballast if its industrial.. The globe should also have some markings to tell.. If you could get a pic of it or whatever details it does have.. someone might be able to help...

hey all hail

sounds like something i picked up not that long ago it should say on the ballast what wattage it is and what type of globe it runs it should all be there if not then as the others said check the globe and as a last resort open the ballast up and look in there

sounds like its either gonna be a MV or a MH lets hope its a MH

let us know what ya have

cheerz

ill try find a similar one on the net
Ballast makers tend to use the same box for all their HID models, if there are no model numbers or other information on the outside of the case then the only real options you have are to knock on the door of the place that threw it out and ask them (they will of course guess why you want the light) or you can open the case and see what information the manufacturer left inside. How do you know it's a 1000w ballast and was the globe clear or did it have a white coating inside the glass?

lol