lights lights lights

im thinking of getting meself a light,,, but i figure i should atleast know what to expect,,, ok,, i know shit all but,, i wouldnt get anything under a 400 watt hps,, maybe a 600 watt im not sure,,, but what do i hafta buy,, how much would ya expect to pay for a 400,, or a 600,, theres a hydro shop down the road,, but i wanna know a bit first if ya know what im sayin,,,,,, what other things do ya need, do these lights just plug in to the wall, do ya need to one with a long cord??? i really do know shit,,, dont hassle me, i normally grow under the sun,, but location has made me change my methods,, any comments appreciated,

the globe screws into a fitting, which hangs off your reflector. The fitting is plugged into a ballast which then plugs into a power outlet. Best to get a remote ballast that way you can get the ballast out of your growroom.

A 400W light kit with globe, reflector and ballast costs between $220 and $260 new.

Son-T-Agro is a combination globe that is good for veg and flowering. Haven't heard anyone say anything bad about the Son-T bulbs yet...

im thinking of getting meself a light,,, but i figure i should atleast know what to expect,,, ok,, i know shit all but,, i wouldnt get anything under a 400 watt hps,, maybe a 600 watt im not sure,,, but what do i hafta buy,,  how much would ya expect to pay for a 400,, or a 600,, theres a hydro shop down the road,, but i wanna know a bit first if ya know what im sayin,,,,,, what other things do ya need, do these lights just plug in to the wall, do ya need to one with a long cord??? i really do know shit,,, dont hassle me, i normally grow under the sun,, but location has made me change my methods,, any comments appreciated,

The power of the light should be proportional to the size of the grow space and the availability of effective ventilation, the light is only one part of the system and the system needs to maintain equilibrium.

What are the details of your grow space?

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

thanks pipeman + tom,,, cool i was keen to get some pricing under my belt,, i know these things arent cheap, but i didnt want to straight to a hydro shop, got a feeling they could make their prices to suit their pockets,, the info with how they plug in thank u,,,, and tom,, i am thinking of growing in cupboard,, its about 7ft high,, nearly 2metres wide and 40 cms deep, can i do it boys,, i hope i can , as i said , i cannot grow outside anymore, like u were saying tom, ventilation, is it possible to run without it, one thing i do know about hydro lights is there f%@#&^ hot,, if i have to i can try growing in someting else not me cupboard, maybe buy another bigger one " from salvos " or build one,, cuz this cupboard i got, i'd rather not cutt holes for ducting an stuff,,, but i need to grow,, over to u guys,,, any comments plz???

indoors you will always need ventilation of one kind or another. That cupboard is big enough to handle a 400W hid, In fact it is two wide for you to utilise all the space with one light. If you want to take full advantage of your space maybe look into a light mover or second light.

mmmm ventilation, ventilation,,, is it enough to have like a small fan , like a small one for ya lounge room blowing around in there,, and i dunno if i will split the cupboard up,, i might just try an get one lot to work,, im glad u said that rather than nah too small get a bigger one,,,oh i wish i could use the sun, but this will be much much better, maybe

The plants need heaps of fresh CO2, just like you need oxygen to live, good ventilation is needed to provide airflow as well as heat extraction and is every bit as important as the light.

If you own or are buying your own place you should seriously consider constructing a proper grow room, if you are renting then a wardrobe or two from the salvo's is probably the way to go, RobbieGanjaSeed made an excellent grow room from two wardrobes once, maybe he can post some pictures of it for you.

I would limit the HID in a wardrobe to a 400w with appropriate ventilation, any higher could risk a visit from the fire brigade.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

The plants need heaps of fresh CO2, just like you need oxygen to live, good ventilation is needed to provide airflow as well as heat extraction and is every bit as important as the light.

anf the only way you achieve that is from extracting to outside air or sucking in from outside air. Just having a fan in the cupboard blowing the air around won't be good enough.