Pot Sizes

Hi folks, a friends been wondering somthing for a while.. he grows his plants in 30 liter pots (soil) ,which he seems to think is on the bigger size for pot growing. Anyway,his plants usually grow to about an arms lenth in hight, maybe a little bigger.

Now the thing i dont get, is i see heaps of pictures of plants over a meter tall in tiny pots compaired to a 30 liter,so basically my question is, is he not vegging them long enough out of fear of the plants getting rooted b4 the end of flower or can he keep em going for at least 1+ meter (say half a meter b4 flower)? (all calculations from the start of the dirt n not the bottom of the pot).

On his last grow he got round 2 n a half Oz from one of those plants...can those yeilds be attcheved with smaller pots,or improved with growing longer in current pots?

He grows in a 1x1 square meter space and can fit 6 of those pots in there, but he wants to know if its worth it,and the best most efficient way of using the space.

Cheers, thanks

yeah i tend to agree with cloner here. maybe he should try only 4 pots in that space, i grow 4 plants in 1200 by 1200 by 2000, and average about a quarter pound to half a pound to each plant maybe more. depends on a lot anyway, like type of nutes they are being fed and how often they are watered, lighting used, strain etc etc.

Jeebs :bow: my friend is no good at hydroponics and even after hes read quite afew teks on it, it kind of confuses him,Is growing is coco fibre (or whatever its called) similer to hydropinics but abit less technical?

On his last grow he was using a 400wt for veg and a 1000wt for flower. but then the room wasent at full "capacity" and the clones where the annoying strechy ones where u know somthings gone wrong.

He figures on his next grow hell (just started) hell veg em abit longer (6) and take better care of em and hopefully if he can reach the 3 ouch mark per plant hell make give or take a half a kilo?

Hmm another thing, as cloner said, would it be better to grow the plants wide rather then up, like scrog? i may have to look into it or just do an improvised scrog with no screens coz again, that confuses the whole situation for his little mind :(

hydro is so easy its not funny.. everyone thinks its going to be difficult because of all the shit involved.. its not.. its way easier than growing in dirt.. you just need the right shit.. like PH testers.. PPM testers.. good nutrients.. and of course the right room.. with the right lights and ventilation..

its really not all that hard.. i check my hydro grow once every 1-3 days.. depending on where its at.. when in full flower.. its really just to top up the resi with water.. and thats about it.. ofc theres a lot of different setups and techniques.. the thing is finding the right technique for the right set up that works for you..

basic recirc hydro system would be the best way to go for a beginner.. the simpler the better i reckon.. im guessing youve already got the room.. it wouldnt take much to wak a hydro set up in there...

but really.. a 30 liter pot would be fine for growing a plant of about 8-10 ounces... dirt or hydro... just hydro if faster... and probably easier to get your 10 ounces rather than dirt...

Thanks for the post, Sukonmi. you make him feel guilty for putting my plants though the soil treatment :(.

K you have convinced him to finally open the hydro section of the forum :bow: which hes always steerd clear from, and will make a point of learning about it :( sounds like hes been running way below optimum capacity,in growth and electricity efficiency.

Hopefully a basic one will be up and running by the next grow, for the ones hes doing now tho, how tall do you roughly recommend he grows it to get even a 5 ouch per plant yield? Belladonna strain from paradise seeds hes doing.

Peace, an thanks again for your post, it was really insightful

Edited by Flange

heres the link to one of my diaries, is a full recirc setup, 4 50lt pots, clay medium, 600w hps, all on timers; watered every 15 mins because clay doesnt retain water( actually found out cause plants wernt growing very well on 3hourly feeds and just experimented). room is 1200 by 1200 by 2000. reservoir is outside the cabinate as is the ballast for the light.

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...showtopic=15183

happy growing. is so easy you wont believe it.