My new mate Pedro

A friend was kind enough to give me a cutting, so I thought I'd share a pic of him before he callouses and gets planted.

post-13296-1190013883_thumb.jpg

firstly congrats on your first pedro :wacko:

pop it into a container whilst she forms her callouse so that she doesnt start to loose her plumpness. one of the most common things to happen to cuttings in this period outside of infection is for them to shrivvle up a bit as the moisture escapes , it is fixed with time but best to avoid it all together

OMG!!! That's beautiful!

Damn my seeds STILL haven't sprouted....

Good luck with him!

They can take a few weeks to a month + to sprout granny , also with cacti it's always a danger to plant them too deep meaning they never break out

just make sure you keep it moist and in a humidity crib and you will see some babies in no time ( they look weird :wacko: :D )

Are cacti mono or dicots pure?

It's something that is disputed in the cacti world as a generalisation actually. Mainly because there are so many different types of cacti that all show different characteristics, some of which point towards diocote some of which point towards monocote

Lets keep pedro in mind for this examples sake

a) it is a collum cacti generally without branches ( unless they where pups ) making them at first think that they are monocots but then you look at everythign else and the mind simply starts to boggle :wacko: ( this only applies to collom cacti though so is not to be used as a cacti generalisation)

:D They have tap roots implying that they are more on the dicots side

c) The vascular tissue tends to form rings again leaning towards diocots

d) The biology of the seed is a tricky one, known study shows pedro seeds have a single cotyledon making them biologicly monocots however how they pollenate is more liek a diocote

e) The flowers of a cacti are very diocote like

In the end yoo u can see where the confusion comes intit with cacti. Hopefully funkyfungus will pop in with a better answer ;)

From the information i can find though the general understanding is that some cacti are monocots and some cacti are diocots

Are you sure that is a pedro ?

The specimen in the photo looks like a short spined Cereus sp. to me.

The ribs look a little too pronounced for it to be a Trichocereus.

I'm not sure, but thanks for bringing that up. The person who was kind enough to give it to me has quite a succulent garden, and she did mention having a few species. Unforunately she's gone to Peru so I can't ask her but I can get a photo of the cactus it was cut from probably this weekend :blink: