Cannabis may help anorexia, experts say

freddie

Question

Cannabis may help anorexia, experts say

Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Kate Sikora, Health Reporter

September 04, 2007 12:00am

CANNABIS has been used for years to treat some cancers but now experts believe it could help anorexia sufferers.

An international nutrition expert Dr Elliot Berry is presenting research in Sydney today suggesting cannabis could stimulate appetite in anorexia patients.

But his findings, which are not yet published, have been questioned by some eating disorder groups who believe it could cause more harm than good.

Dr Berry, a consultant to the World Health Organisation, has conducted a trial using cannabis in an oil form to treat the eating disorder.

He told the Daily Telegraph early results showed the drug stimulated a chemical in the brain boosting appetite in malnourished people.

"It is given in very low doses, no one is going to get high and no one is going over the top.

"The brain already has receptors which produce some substances like cannabis. We have found that people who are malnourished don't produce these substances."

About one in 100 Australian teenage girls develop anorexia nervosa, the third most common chronic illness in that age group behind obesity and asthma.

Dr Berry, who is based at Israel's Hadassah University Hospital, said he was not purporting to have the "wonder drug" to treat anorexia.

"This could help the treatment and speed up the process while the person still receives psychological help," he said.

from news.com.au/dailytelegraph

This makes so much sense I can't understand why no one has thought of this before. :thumbsup:

Nah I don't think it will.

1) I have an eating disorder and smoke weed daily - it hasn't helped with it at all.

2) A friend I have in the same situation as me.

*Southpark style* DUMMMMB DUM DUM. DUMB.

This is the worst scientific evidence possible. "It works for me" or "It works for my friend" or "It doesn't work for me" or "It doesn't work for my friend", or combinations are often used. 2 people is not a scientific study. ESPECIALLY with unknown weed quality etc.

I guarantee you this study used more then 2 people. Therefore it trumps you're findings. And they know Cannabinoids play a role in appetite and digestion/metabolism.

BUT I know some people never get the munchies, so I'm not doubting you and your friend's story. I know I never get 'em. But a majority, like 99.9% do.