guerilla watering systems

Gday all

Setting up a few outdoor grows this season of about 4 plants each

I was wondering what sort off watering systems people have had success with in the past

I am thinking gravity feed and will only be able to visit every 2 weeks at the most

any proven ideas would be much appreciated

stay cool

What i have seen done is one of those blue plastic 44 gall drums was half way sunk into the ground up hill from the plants and covered up so it couldent been seen and some 19mm black polly tubing hooked up to the drum run down to the plants with small feeder lines with drippers coming off the the 19mm tubing to each plant and worked quite well.

The biggest bitch about it was filling it up u have to carry a shit load of water to fill it unless u have a water source close by, water gets very heavy very quick if u have to carry it a long way.

U can use a smaller drum like a 25lt one but will have to make more trips to fill it as it will run out a lot faster...

Thanks for the info ozzie

I considered the water cartage when selecting the sites so water close by

Does anyone from past experiance know how many liters would be required to keep a few plants going

I know there will be a lot of variables (soil drainage ect) just a ball park figure?

stay cool

If u use those water jelly stuff as well you will be able to go longer times with out having to top up the rez as it will help keep the moisture at the roots for a bit longer.

What u could do is try setting it up at home how u think u will have it setup and run the setup and then u will get an idear on how long it will last and if need be you can tweak it to get it to the point were u think it rite...

I cant even give an estimate on water requirements , when the plant is small its only liters per day when its big its up to and over 10 litres per day in my garden which has daytime temps up to 42degrees and some cloudy days in low thirties, the worst days are when the hot north winds come those days make sure you visit the plants or ensure they have extra water capacity/flow

it also makes a huge difference if in pots or in the ground , with pots dug into the ground it is possible to manage a small reservior of water underneath your plants then run a wick system whereby the plant can drink on demand that would be much more reliable ...

if planting in the ground benefits gained from lining the sides of a large planting hole with plastic before planting can be substantial, any kind of mulch around the base of plant like leaf-litter , bark, stones or even shadecloth should also be used

Also 'Wettasoil' should be used intially to treat the soil in which you intend to plant .. its a great wetting agent which allows the water to penetrate the soil much more readily yet is 100% non toxic

Guerilla grows are the most difficult grows cause you really have to work at it for months on end , i hope the Ganja Gods smile kindly upon you

lol

Welcome to the bush s.phonics :D

How hot does it get where you are?

I'm a few hrs north of Brisbane and last season, at the height of the drought :D I was carting 90L twice a week to feed about a dozen that ranged from 5-8ft ...never again ;)

they are thirsty fuckers for sure, but I reckon frazzles wick idea is the go lol I've seen it used in a few permaculture designs as well, I'll definitely give it a shot next grow ;)

Can you use a portable pump when you visit or do you have to cart it?

It's also so a good idea to get any digging done asap, before in heats up too much, believe me, transplanting 6' plants in late December isn't much fun B)

Thanks for the replies all

67 i am a little further north than you , temps in the mid 30s most of the spring- summer

90L twice a week ! I will have half as many plants as you so my water usage should be down

normally have some consistant rain falls as well

I may have to look for a bigger res than I was thinking

wont be pumping the water, carting 20L drums but not far to cart

As for res to plants I am going to trial a home made wick system - Will elaborate if it works out

Will be using plenty of water cystals as well

Stay cool