PayPal continues its fight against Cannabis

• Admin
Amendment to Section 2.8 of the PayPal User Agreement

Notice Date: 25 July 2007

Effective Date: 23 August 2007

Beginning 23 August 2007, section 2.8 of the PayPal User Agreement is being amended to allow PayPal to hold your funds for up to 180 days and fine you up to $3,000 AUD (increased from $750) for the following violations of the Acceptable Use Policy:

1. Using the Service to receive payments for any sexually oriented or obscene materials or services in violation of the Acceptable Use Policy; or

2. Using the Service to receive payments for any narcotics, other controlled substances, steroids or prescription drugs in violation of the Acceptable Use Policy; or

3. Using the Service to receive payments for wagers, gambling debts or gambling winnings, regardless of the location or type of gambling activity in violation of the Acceptable Use Policy; or

4. Using the service to receive payments for tobacco products in violation of the Acceptable Use Policy.

Complaints should certainly be lodged, but unfortunately they can tell us to all go jump in the lake. They are a private financial service, and as such have every right to decide what customers they service.

I think it bites, just another example of anti-consumer sentiment amongst those who should be championing it, but hey, that's the world we live in now....

It would be interesting to see their opinion on alcoholic substances/devices, but I'm sure they'll come back with "Those are legal products."

Yeah, but tobacco is legal Luke, and they listed that as well as what they call "obscene". What may be obscene to one could be normal or even comic to another... but THEY decide.

It's gotten worse since ebay took over paypal.

I remember reading how paypal (paynarc) took ten thousand dollars from the man that invented the bubble bags. They decided he was selling "drug paraphenalia"

It's not just Australia it's everywhere, I had a UK seed seller tell me they got away with his money twice, before he got wise and has routed it through a private account not connected to him.

I think they've just found a way to legally rip people that can't do anything about it, or might be embarassed to fight them.

I do not understand the tobacco issue though. Can anyone figure that one out?

In the UK a few years ago, paypal played a huge part in the conviction of some of the first big scale mail order sites:

The police crackdown on internet weed dealers has been felt hardest in the United Kingdom, where online dealers Pepe and BudMonkey were closed down in late 2003 and early 2004 after a major operation by the National Hi-Tech Crime Unit. Pepe and BudMonkey had been relatively brazen in their approach: though not advertised on search engines or open forums, word of their sites spread quickly among the online cannabis community in Britain. Their sites openly declared their products, a variey of strains of high grade herbal cannabis and hash, with photographs to illustrate the quality. Although both sites introduced password protection and a strict members-only policy after a few months of open operation, the damage had been done. The vacuum-packed, Amsterdam-beating packages had been so popular that keeping the business secret had quickly become impossible, particularly after a national newspaper article in which an Amsterdam-based dealer, Hermes The Hash Trader, criticised the openness of the UK sites. Payments had been made by online payment systems such as PayPal and NoChex and the paper trail clearly showed the scale of the online operations.

Excerpt taken from www.dopefiend.co.uk

Any ex TD members here?