Unhealthy seedlings

Hey all,

As per my diary thread here HERE, these youngins are doing the same thing as my last grow which I ended up ditching all but 1 'survivor' - the others just stunted and sat there. So I Fed these only water for about a week, then did a very weak mix of my nutes & microbial after flushing the res and they went well for another couple of days and then did this. I have reverted back to only ph adjusted water & microbial hand fed for the last 4 days with a good drying out period and they still seem to be yellowing and dying off but not as quickly and im not sure now if they are still burned or asking for some juice?

post-12158-1187881735_thumb.jpg

post-12158-1187881804_thumb.jpg

wats the mix they are in??

they dont look real healthy hey

ive found the best way to start seed

is in jiffy 7s as they have some ggodness in em

keeps them sorted and i dont have to feed em anything but phed water

untill they get there 3rd set of leafs..

how dry does ya medium get between waters??

wat size are the vessels they in atm

all the ebst take care

bil

I wonder if the light isn't a bit too strong. Now I'm not talking about heat here, it's light. Too much on a young plant can make it work overtime.

Why not remove one of them to soil and less light and see if she starts to recover? :applause: It's very upsetting to watch a beautiful baby start to look ill. When this happens to me I use just worm castings and perlite and hope nature will take over an help.

Best of luck with them.

wats the mix they are in??

how dry does ya medium get between waters??

wat size are the vessels they in atm

As per my diary thread they are in ~80 percent perlite with a 2inch layer on top of perlite/coco.

I allow them to dry out enough but not too much trust me. And there are 3 youngins per 60L tub, but after sexing who knows how many will remain...

And Granny, perhaps the light is at least contributing to my problem - I raised the hps ~1.5 inch when I saw it start and I really wouldnt want to take it any higher till they are quite a bit taller :)

Oh and yea transplanting them into pots isnt really possible as there would be no room in the cupboard for it!

They seem to be looking a bit better, new leaves seem unaffected but id say they are at least a week of growth behind where they should be. watch for pics in my diary after they hopefully recover :applause:

looks to me that you need to be feeding it some nutes mate... make up a grow mix of around 1200ppm.. see how that goes.. a seedling of this age should be ready to take a full strength mix at around 1600-1800ppm..

have youre 400 about a 40-50cm above the plants untill they settle in then lower to around 30cm ...

hand feeding with perlite... youll need to be feeding these seedlings every 2-3 hours... id be setting up some sort of auto feed.. a small fish take pump and a timer will set you back around 70$.. this way they get fed at the same times everyday.. makes for better growth rates.. well worth the small cost thats for sure..

the 2 inch layer of coco would be doing fuck all.. it might help hold a little moisture.. but really its fuck all.. id be pissing the coco off.. or blending it into the perlite..

Hi Gibbo, gee, pity you spoiled the perlite with the coco man B)

Hmmm if ya got rid of it you could just hand water the perlite or use those self watering pots from Woolies or K-Mart, they work brilliantly.

The capillary action keeps the perlite at just the right amount of moisture, so is pretty fool proof.

Ya have to remember with the coco your getting a live medium with good as well as bad bacteria, fungal spores, which also attracts the sciard fly especially if you live in a humid enviroment etc etc etc whereas the perlite starts out sterile and also copes with humidity better.

The soaking and drying out action of the perlite in itself lends to a healthy root system, which is key to a healthy, producing plant. hope that makes sense along with what others have mentioned.

looks to me that you need to be feeding it some nutes mate... make up a grow mix of around 1200ppm.. see how that goes.. a seedling of this age should be ready to take a full strength mix at around 1600-1800ppm..

have youre 400 about a 40-50cm above the plants untill they settle in then lower to around 30cm ...

hand feeding with perlite... youll need to be feeding these seedlings every 2-3 hours... id be setting up some sort of auto feed.. a small fish take pump and a timer will set you back around 70$.. this way they get fed at the same times everyday.. makes for better growth rates.. well worth the small cost thats for sure..

the 2 inch layer of coco would be doing fuck all.. it might help hold a little moisture.. but really its fuck all.. id be pissing the coco off.. or blending it into the perlite..

Thanks for the tips, the light was like you said around 40cm above them but raised it yet again 'just incase'. As for hand watering the perlite, if you went to my grow diary you would see that these babies are already in a full recirc system - I just didnt want to dump my freshly made half strength nute tank. As for the 2inch layer of coco/perlite, well if I didnt add the coco then I wouldnt have been able to fill the tubs without buying more, and I do find it easier to tell just how wet or dry they are with the coco on top. Next grow will be 100% perlite.

And WantDaChronic, the ph is always 5.8-6.2 and the only thing I do not have is an ec meter, I usually just mix according to the bottle at 1/4 or half strength etc.

Well ill start feeding them again today as the 3 in my left pot all look reasonably good, but im gonna have to scrap the others and plant new seeds in the right. Watch for pics when they start growing again!.