my prop tray has holes at bottom

hey there

i use the same ones most of the ones i have seen have the holes in teh bottom but you can get the bottom rays as well

what i do is put a layer of soaked pirlite on the bottom of the tray and then put this on my heat mat and then sit my clones on top of the pirlite not only does it supply a good amount of humidity but it keeps the water in there as well

then i just lightly mist my clones and add water to the pirlite when ever it gets abit dry and ya will have roots in no time

cheerz

bought a prop dome and it has holes at the bottom, i dont need the rockwool swimming in water do I? Or can i just spray the top and bottom when they drying out?

Rockwool should never be wet or saturated. While evaporation rates will differ depending on whether you use a heat mat, about 15-20ml of water will do a 40mm RW cube for 24 hours. I have taken to measuring with a 60ml syringe to make sure I don't overwater, though you can get away with just dipping the corner of a cube in water. Saturation drives all the air out of the cube and will cause slow rooting and stem tip rot. With a heat mat, you should be getting strikes in 7 days.

I've also seen the propagators with holes in the tray. I prefer the ones made from unperforated, thin blow-moulded plastic. They transfer heat from my heatmat to the cubes OK and keep the heatmat dry. I don't use the domes themselves, just the tray. See the link to 'A batch of clones in rockwool' in my sig.