Drug test all students

Drug test all students

Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Clare Masters

August 10, 2007 12:00am

DRUG-TESTING could become mandatory in Australian high schools following an investigation by the Federal Government's drug watchdog into illicit substances.

Students may be subjected to saliva swabs, urine testing, pat downs or sniffer-dog searches under an Australian National Council on Drugs (ANCD) research project.

"This will provide information for people who are concerned about what is happening in schools and how we can better protect kids from drugs," ANCD chief executive Gino Vumbaca said.

The researchers will canvas parents, teachers, students and drug experts across the country and determine whether detection is needed in schools and what form it should take.

Mr Vumbaca said sniffer dogs or pat downs were some of the options that would be investigated, along with urine or saliva testing.

"We'll be looking at the technology for testing, given the drug driving (saliva testing) regime now," he said.

"We need to know if we should have a detection program; be it thorough testing or some other way - or should we do more in drug education?"

Using data from the recent Australian Secondary School Students' Use of Over-the-Counter and Illicit Substances report, which showed that, while drug use had declined, 15 per cent of 12-to-15 year olds and 33 per cent of 16 and 17 year-olds had tried at least one of cannabis, hallucinogens, amphetamines, ecstasy, opiates or cocaine.

The research, to be presented to all Australian governments, was conducted by Flinders University's National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction.

Anti-drug campaigner, South Australian Independent MP Anne Bressington, believes mouth swabs should be used: "I think if we did it it should be for all students from Year eight to Year 12 on a three to four year pilot.

"The No. 1 message would be that drug use is unacceptable."

However Drug and Alcohol Research and Training Australia's Paul Dillon warned drug detection sent the wrong message.

"Compulsory testing says to them that we believe there are so many of them using illicit drugs, that we have to run programs like this," he said.

"The reality is that those who are likely to be drug users will most probably be able to avoid drug testing."

from www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph

What country did I wake up in this morning? What next? I'm a bit too angry to comment on this atm.

this is utter bullshit and i know if i were in high school i wouldnt have stood for it one bit. if they wanted a sample of my saliva to test it for drugs, i would have to be held down and even then i would have caused considerable damage to the people and property around me. :peace: its too much of an invasion of privacy and just because kids arent drinking alcohol at every party these days doesnt give the government the right to mandatory drug testing :peace:

Why stop there?

There should be teams of cops with elbow-length rubber gloves doing daily body cavity searches of all children entering schools.

You can never be too careful.

why stop there? they'll force people to spew incase their stomachs have water balloons filled with herion, girls will have to get their vaginas searched incase they are hiding drugs up there as well and if you get an over zealous drug nazi they might even check for a thai stick up every male's pee hole....afterall you cant be too carefull >:(

personally i think kids should stay away from drugs until their schooling is over and done with, but it should also be their decision to take those drugs or not. forcing drug tests on high school kids will only make those who take drugs and pass legends among their friends and it will change the drug scene from one of pot, speed and a few pills to legal pharmacuticals which dont show up on the test, but fuck with the brain 1000x worse than any street drug will :thumbdown:

what about kindegarteners??? lets teach the kids at an early age to submit to tyranny and accept the controlled police state... shit lets all put fuckin silicon chips in our new borns... lets set up zones with army roadblock checks and any kid with out a chip installed will be sent to egypt for inTERRORgating.. after all... any one that protests will be considered a terrorist...

youre either with us or against us...

This is just fucking annoying.

Could you call that invasion of privacy? Wouldn't they need search warrents or something for each individual student they want to examine?

not really, all they'd need to do is get a parent to give consent and the government could enforce their consent by declaring that all government funded school students must take part in the tests to remain in school, refusal will lead to expulsion, etc. :peace:

in the event that happens, private schools would be the next best bet for teens who take drugs, but i imagine the whole "your with us or against us" mentality the war on drugs brings with it would mean those private schools would have to do the same testing or risk looking drug friendly in the eyes of the parents of the students that attend the schools :thumbdown: