Combining HPS & MH lights

Well my reading has led me to the conclusion that growers who can afford to run the extra MH lights and have the room, cooling etc have better developed crops.

I mean we are all aiming to achieve the best results available but generally our budget and grow space plays a large part in deciding where we draw the line in regards to emulating & maximizing natures potential.

In this hypothetical situation the lights are 1000W so there are no available Son-T bulbs to give that extra blue, so the only option is to throw in a MH or two (I agree that a ratio of 2-1 HPS-MH would be perfect but that's a lot more running cost) or drop 5500K CF's around the grow area hanging vertically between the shades of the tonners to achieve even coverage of the extra blue light.

I agree Al that there is no major need for the added MH for a successful flowering but I can only go on what I have read; that adding MH's to the flower room is only a good thing.

Luke's idea sound good except that the MH will be strongly concentrated in one area and SS's setup is ideal except for the fact that we are talking about 1000Watters not 600's.

So I guess the best solution appears to be a light track or to leave the MH out.

Dropping CF's in vertically intrigues me...there's a lot of that on UK420.

Jimbo :toke:

Edited by jimbojones5678

:toke: Other conventional wisdom is that resin and/or THC is the plant's defence against UV... which makes absolutely no sense at all, as the plant is making the most resin in late summer when the flowers are bulking up, when the plant would have less UV to defend against than at any other time of the growing season. Maybe UV suppresses resin production! :toke:

:toke: This is when they grow seed though Al so the UV protection becomes more important then. In veg it is not as important. I do agree though that adding extra UV light will not make them produce more resin than their genetics allows and there is alot more than UV light to resin production.

:flex: Peace MongyMan