The Boys Light Up

By Jonathon Moran

July 15, 2007 12:00am

BONO and Peter Garrett were nowhere to be seen when Silverchair frontman Daniel Johns shared a relaxed smoke with his long-time mate and music collaborator Paul Mac.

Johns and Mac were snapped lighting up and chilling out at Woolloomooloo earlier this year.

The pair didn't seem to mind being photographed while taking a break from one of the restaurants on the popular dining strip.

Last week during a Triple J radio interview, Johns got himself into trouble when he claimed that he had smoked a marijuana joint with his wife Natalie Imbruglia, former Midnight Oil frontman Peter Garrett and U2's Bono in Sydney last November.

"It was really one of the most surreal moments of my life,'' Johns said in the Triple J interview.

"It was me and Natalie and Peter Garrett and Bono laying on Bono's bed smoking joints, listening to Young Modern demos.''

Not long afterwards, Johns made a quick retreat, describing his claims as "stupid''.

"I really should just shut up and stick to singing,'' he said.

At present, Johns is in the US, preparing for the release of Silverchair's latest album there.

His Australian record label refused to comment on the photograph and Mac also had nothing to say.

Mr Garrett, now Labor's environment spokesman, admitted he had smoked marijuana while he was in his 20s but said nothing happened with Johns.

Liberal Senator Nick Minchin also jumped on the bandwagon, admitting he had also smoked marijuana in his youth.

"For me to suggest that I never smoked marijuana would be lying through my teeth. Of course I did at that time - at school and probably at university,'' he said.

He appeared to be out on his own on the frontbench.

Most federal ministers contacted by The Sunday Telegraph said they had not tried marijuana.

However, Health Minister Tony Abbott has admitted he smoked marijuana as a student ... but, like former US President Bill Clinton, claimed he did not inhale

Another story from www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/sto...5001021,00.html

Not really much of a story. Two people photographed smoking a jay. However you can comment.

THERE IS ALSO A POLL ON LEGALISING CANNABIS AT THE TELEGRAPH. WE WILL LOSE IT BUT PLEASE VOTE ANYWAY.

There is also a blog at the smh.com.au about politicians, pot and hypocrisy if you'd like to comment. The intro is a bit long to post. It seems a little can of worms has been opened by Daniel Johns, if nothing else. :applause:

http://blogs.smh.com.au/newsblog/archives/...ght/014551.html

Edited by freddie