Farmer Ken had 47kg of 'grass'

Found this in the local paper

The Fraser Coast Chronicle, Wednesday, 26, 2003

Front page

Farmer Ken had 47kg of 'grass'

A 61yr old Yerra farmer was laughing with his family moments after the judge sentenced him to three years in jail for growing more than 47kg of marijuana.

Kenneth Colin kingston, of Yerra, pleaded guilty in the Maryborough sittings of the Supreme Court yesterday to possession and production of marijuana and possession of property used in connection with marijuana.

Kingston laughed with his wife and daughter after Chief Justice Paul de Jersey handed down his sentence,saying to them: "Oh well, I guess I'll see you in 12 months."

Prosecutor Simone Bain told the court police raided Kingston's property at Yerra on April 3, 2002, and found more than 47kg of marijuana in "various spots on the farm". It is believed the marijuana had a street value of about $1 million.

Police found 37.11kg of marijuana in bags in several places on Kingstons 1600-acre property with 15 green garbage bags in a horse float.

Thirty three plants ranging in size from seedlings to 2m weighed 9.2kg and containers of cannabis butter weighing 1.15kg were found on other parts of the property.

The defence barrister told the court his client was "somewhat unorthodox" in his views and had been obsessed with marijuana.

The defence barrister said it was a bizarre attempt by his client to breed cannabis to his liking that got way out of hand.

The court heard Kingston was trying to cross various types of marijuana. the defence barrister told the court Kingston had three crops at different places on his farm so that he would not cross-pollinate the plants.

The court heard Kingston watered, fertilised and harvested the crop over a "few months" before being discovered by police.

Police asked Kingston why he grew the crops and were told 'I think it's the most beautiful plant in the world and I like using it".

In handing down his sentence of three years imprisonment with eligibility for parole after 12 months, The chief justice said He had a bizarre obsession with marijuana.

Chief justice Paul de Jersey said an alarming features of the case was that Kingston had a prior conviction for the same offence and was sentenced to nine months' jail wholly suspended for 10 years and he had now re-offended only 18 months after the suspended period ended.

He said although there was no evidence to suggest he had sold the the drug he was concerned Kingston's obsession would ultimately yield to temptation of selling it as time went on.

Justice de Jersey told the court the large quantity of marijuana was too much for personal use.

Police said that quantities of plastic clip bags and electronic scales had been found on the property.

Police asked Kingston why he grew the crops and were told 'I think it's the most beautiful plant in the world and I like using it".

I can identify with that.

Cannabis and hemp are a hardy and drought resistant crop, this stupid war on drugs is costing many farmers a chance of survival.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

Guest Urbanhog

Believe me.... a kilo of canna-butter isn't much if he's got over 40 kilos of pot.

1 kilo of cannabutter is only approx 4 x 250 grams sticks of butter.

1 kilo of cannabutter will make me approx 240 cookies, about 4 cookies will knock me out for 3-6 hours :D

Cheers.

Urbanhog http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/sp/chefico.gif

WAY 2 GO Farmer KEN ! ;)

I must also admit to having a CrAzY obsession with growing,...even when I stop smoking for two months (detox myself abit) I cant stop growing, and its unbearable NOT to inhale that sweet maturing bud smell ;)

I wonder if my insanity will help me in court?

Edited by Aussie_Smoker