DIY Ballast setup

Hi guys, this is probably one for the electricians out there, and I know a lot of people are going to tell me to take this project to one, but I have enough experience with wiring to do this safely, I just need the technical expertise.

I obtained an "ATCO OGS400-100" (ballast only), along with a 400w HPS globe.

It says it is capable of running MH and HPS, although I will only be using it for HPS.

I understand I will also need to get a starter (igniter) and a capacitor (optional?)

The part I am unsure of is the whole layout of the thing. The only info I can find involves using transformers with a long side and a short side..... this thing only has 3 connectors... "E" - "B" - "L". Getting from 240v at the wall, to making my globe light up is somewhere in between.

A friend of mine made this setup inside a small steel toolbox a few years back, and I should have paid attention. I have since lost contact with him and am unable to find anything useful on the net.

Has anyone taken on a project like this before?, and if so can someone please post pics and an easy schematic... the ones on it make no sense to me.

I promise not to hold anyone personally responsible if I make sparks !

Thanks in advance.

:thumbsup:

Ok, now i have the the starter (igniter) in my hand, the schematic makes sense.

I am still unsure on the role of the capacitor and if it is needed. I read on one site that it is optional so I will look into that some more.

Once I get it sorted, I will try to post some pics.

Cool, thanks for the replies / links.

I did some study on the capacitor and found out it is required, so I now have managed to aquire one. It's all starting to make sense now, and I am actually learning something from this whole process.

Just about got everything together , now all I need is a spare weekend to get it all setup.

Pics will be on the way when I have it at a suitable sytage.

Thanks again.

i think the difference between the MH and the HPS is the choke igniter... the metal halide doesnt have that..

i wired up a couple of switchable balasts once a very long time ago.. and from what I can remember.. and this is pretty hazey... that the switch to go from MH to HPS was just to complete the circuit with the ignighter... with that aside.. i also took an existing balast and pulled that apart to get the local sheetmetal guy to bend me up the p[roper box to bolt everything into.. they looked really good... and with a little fuck assing around it saved me a lot of money...

i am not 100% sure on that.. but i think thats how they went.. it was a long time ago.. and my old man gave m,e hand to do them.. he's a sparky..

we have a couple of sparky's here as members.. hopefully they might shed some better light on this for you...

Cool, thanks guys.

Got it all together (in peices anyhow) now, and hopefully it will be up and running my next weekend.

The $ saving was good... I work on industrial sites, and sometimes the sparkys leave the store open, so most of this has come at bargain prices.

Reckon I will just give some garden variety beans a run for the first grow, make sure it is all going to work etc.

PE, run the room for a week with nothing at all in it but a towel cleverly hung below the lights, but dipping into a bucket of water. This will simulate the water transpiration of a few plants. You'll be able to get a rough idea if your temps and humidity will stay in range before you ever pop a bean.