Advice on indoor set-up

Hi everyone.

I've been reading these forums for about four years and am only now trying an indoor grow.

I've tried to grow outdoor in the backyard before, but the plants have either been stolen or a housemate freaked out and told me to ditch them. I'm in a good place now, with few visitors and a cool housemate.

I germinated some seeds about three weeks ago in a glass of water, then planted them in some 6' pots of cheap potting mix. They sprouted within 7 days, but since i'm living in Melbourne the weather's been cold and plants grew slow.

I've had a 400w hps i bought from ebay a while ago, so set that up in an old toilet no-one uses about 2-3 feet off the ground and put the plants under that. The toilet is 1.2sq and about 7feet tall. I covered the doorway with a sheet of masonite that sort of leans on the doorway. This blocks out enough light so nothing looks suspicious. There is an opening above the doorway that is about 200mm high by 600mm wide. I've left this uncovered as the light that comes through is not that much, and so they have some ventilation. I'm planning on painting the room and the m. board white when i get a chance, and also getting a fan to install in the gap above the doorway (there is a hole in the roof outside the room that i can direct hot air into).

I have been watering the plants every third day (or when they look dry) with thrive plant food at half strength. Last time i did this when i looked the next day two of the plants were a little burnt on the leaves. Since then i am adding thrive every second water. They are 1-2 inches tall now with the second set of leaves developing. There are six plants.

Sorry this is a long post but i just need to know if i'm doing things right and if the plants will be okay like this for a while.

no offence mate, but a glowing toilet that smells like pot from a distance will stick out to a ripper or any police officer for that matter like crazy :) you really need to ensure that you have all the light leaks taken care of, there is nothing worse than moving indoors due to having your outdoor plants ripped all the time to only have the indoor plants ripped on you as well :) I should know, it happened to me and i was prepared to give up growing and would have if it wasnt for the members here giving me all their words of wisdom and advice :)

goodluck with the grow and feel free to share a picture or 2 :punk:

is your room inside or outside?

i agree with stoney, sukonmiskunks tutorial is one of the best

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...DE=03&id=20

a recirculating system will give you a bit of freedom as well as a normally trouble free and easy form of growing. definatley better than hand watering. i think i would be finding a better medium in which to replant your plants in as cheap potting mixes can cause all sorts of problems from with in themselves eg; legionella http://www.ngiv.com.au/leegionella diseases both human and plant types. as well as not having enough nutrients within the soil and usually not much to no water retension. have fun and happy growing.

Disused bathrooms are GREAT grow spaces! You have water, power (often with a ground-fault detector power point), durable, cleanable tile floors and walls (often a nice reflective white colour, too), very often will have a floor drain (BONUS!! Makes dumping tanks a cinch) and usually have an exhaust fan already installed which will cope with a 250-400W light- for a while. Upgrading an existing sleeve-bearing fart fan to a better fan of the same size with a ball-bearing motor is very wise. If you need a quieter fan due to constant operation, that's easily done too- just select a centrifugal blower the same size as the hole in the ceiling. A thermostat to control the fan can very easily be wired in- just replace the wall switch for the fan with a thermostat. This one from Jaycar is very easy to use and will switch either cooling or heating devices up to 5 amps, owing to its relay that has both norm open and norm closed contacts.

Like WDC said, effective light trapping is a must. Simply covering a window with black plastic is a dead giveaway, even listed on police websites as a tipoff to a grow op. I've seen bath windows which have been disguised with a set of blinds, then some white curtains, then a box the size of the window, about 6" deep and lined with black-side toward the window. If you have to draw your intake air through the window (and your intake air must come in freely or it can't be exhausted freely), beware fluttering window coverings. Select something that won't attract attention by moving around too much with air motion.

Cleverness is required in setting up your op; it's great fun to get one up and running with all stealth bases covered from scent to sound.

Sounds like a good spot to grow once you've got it set up proper.

At least you won't have to run out of the grow room if nature calls lol

:rolleyes: sure wish I had a few mullies to stare at while I'm on the toilet :)

I think thrive is one of the shittiest foods for mj, either go organic with a worm farm and compost or get some decent nutes for your babies. They'll appreciate and so will you in the long run I'm sure ;)

Good luck with em mate :)