New test targets drug drivers

THESE are the state-of-the-art devices that police say will help them win the war against drugged drivers.

Police unveiled the saliva drug-testing kits for The Sunday Times this week, ahead of the illicit amphetamine summit on Tuesday.

Supt Nigel White said the roadside tests would give police the ability to snare doped-up drivers who compromised community safety.

"Police have been looking forward to these tests for quite some time,'' he said. "We know there is a problem out in the community with drugs, but one of the biggest issues is people driving drug-impaired and the difficulties in detecting that.''

Under the new laws, police will be able to take a sample of saliva as a preliminary roadside test. If the test is positive, a further saliva sample will be analysed in the portable lab.

The testing kits will target amphetamines and ecstasy, as well as THC, the active ingredient in cannabis.

The State Government has awarded a tender for the preliminary German-made Securetec screening tests, while the $10,000 portable laboratory kit, used to check positive tests, has been provided by British company Cozart.

To ward against discrepancies, the WA Chemistry Centre will cross-check all positive drug test results for the first year of roadside drug tests.

The State Government had hoped the testing would start by today. But delays in finalising the tender and constructing the new "BAD'' (breath and drug testing) bus mean tests will not begin until late August or early September.

People caught driving with illicit drugs in their system face fines ranging from $200 and three demerit points for a first offence to $500 and three months' suspension for a third and subsequent offence.

Penalties for driving while drug-impaired range from $800 and a six-month loss of licence to a $5000 fine, 18 months' jail and a permanent licence disqualification.

Author: Nicole Cox

Date: June 30, 2007

Source: The Sunday Times

Copyright: 2007 The Sunday Times.

Comments can be left: http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21...28-2761,00.html

:peace:

People caught driving with illicit drugs in their system face fines ranging from $200 and three demerit points for a first offence to $500 and three months' suspension for a third and subsequent offence.

Penalties for driving while drug-impaired range from $800 and a six-month loss of licence to a $5000 fine, 18 months' jail and a permanent licence disqualification.

:peace: I wonder how they differentiate between it being in your system or an impairment.

:peace: Peace MongyMan

Of course they won't be able do differentiate between being stoned and just having it in your system. In any case, they won't want to differentiate. This is just the tool they want, something nice and black and white. Plus it gets them points with the sheep who believe this is all about protecting them. Their war on our freedom continues. As usual, oppression is masqueraded as protection.

They are using technology against us. We need to use it back. :)

Two thoughts I've had are...

1. There's bound to be something that can be used in a quick mouthwash or pill or something that has the potential to chemically react with the test and render it useless (I hope).

2. I think it's time there were some enterprising individuals who could start up a police watch website. Ideally you could have the whole country kind of mapped out. People could sms in to report any police activity they've seen in their locality. This data could be automatically uploaded onto the net. Drivers could map out an expected route check to find any current police activity in their area...or something like that.

Unfortunately I'm pretty busy at the moment or I'd try and do it myself. We have to be as active as they are active in protecting our rights. The more we work together, the harder we can make it for their hounds.

I think a key goal for anyone who believes in freedom these days is to undermine the mass media and their legions of whores.... just another thought. I'll get off my soap box now....

Edited by I believe

Just a few thoughts, how can they get away with this stuff when studies show marijuana doesn't noticably impair driving. I know, I know, it's going to have its effect but obviously being ripped is nowhere near 0.05 BAC, so how do they think this system's fair especially with harsher penalites?

Seems to me this is a very simple way of testing for recreational drug use.

On another note, I would've thought speed would be a performance enhancing drug rather than impairing, when it comes to driving at least. After all methamphetamines were used in WW2 and are still used by jet pilots to boost reactions etc. Maybe we should start dosing the old people on the roads with the stuff.

They can't honestly pass this shit off to anyone who knows anything about these drugs. Anybody know if you have a right to refuse testing or is it time to move countries?