Environmentally responsible disposal of HID & FL lights

HID and fluoro lights contain a few mg of mercury. I wouldn't think they should go in household rubbish, but I imagine that's where most of them go now.

All the same, I don't want to show up on the council's hazardous waste collection day with a dozen 1000W HPS bottles if ya know wot I mean.

Anyone thought about environmentally safer, secure disposal? Will your hydro shop take back old tubes for safe disposal?

Good thought Luke, but the makers are all overseas from Australia- and probably wonder why we don't just chuck them out in the desert somewhere. :peace:

I think I'll ring up Ye Olde Hydroe Shoppe and see if they can organise to accept old tubes and manage safe disposal. Every council in Australia uses HPS streetlighting- I could try to find out what they do with their old toobs if YOHS can't manage them.

Yeah, that's a good idea... just say you have a whole pile of old shop lighting perhaps....

True, it doesn't have to be 1kW bottles- just disposing of common 4'/40W workshop tubes presents the same problem.

And there should at least be a local company headquarters... god knows they sell enough of them in oz.

Real good point. I'm sure Philips has got a presence here, not sure about others. Will Google around and see wot I get. Good thinkin'. :peace:

i was returnin mine to the shop i got em from

but they sell 2nd hand gear

and i have a suspision thats where me bulbs were goin..:peace:

You're not wrong. Also, quite a lot of shops buy old gear from drug busts at police auctions, too. Magic pudding, innit? :D

now i just got a collection

enough to light the street though

I have so many that I was trying to think of some clever way of making art or bongs or something... the mercury nixed the bong idea quicksmart, tho. :peace: