$1m drug haul on North Shore

In two separate incidents at Sydney's North Shore, more than $1,000,000 worth of ecstasy and cannabis was uncovered by police yesterday.

The drug haul follows the discovery of a clandestine lab and 10 kilograms of cocaine at addresses in Artarmon, Turramurra and West Ryde last month, but police said the North Shore was not being targeted for drugs.

"It's more opportune than anything else. The timing is just coincidental, I would think," police spokesman David Rose said.

He said an operation focusing on the North Shore's drug trade was not under way, and the two arrests made last night were not planned in conjunction with each other.

In the first arrest, police took a 34-year-old man into custody as he left his apartment block on Toongarah Road at Waverton about 5.15pm.

Acting on information from the community and a surveillance operation carried out that afternoon, police then searched his unit.

Inside, they allegedly found 276 cannabis plants and eight kilograms of cannabis leaf.

The cache was estimated to have a street value of $620,000. There was also a sophisticated cultivation system inside the unit, police said.

The man was taken to North Sydney police station where he was charged with four separate drug offences, including cultivating a prohibited plant at commercial quantity and supplying cannabis at commercial quantity.

That night, in what was believed to be an unconnected arrest, a British man in a silver Toyota Corolla was stopped and 15,000 ecstasy tablets were allegedly found in his car.

About 10.30pm, the highway patrol began following the car on the Pacific Highway at Ku-ring-gai.

They stopped the vehicle on the F3 near the Berowra turn-off, and, after other inquires, searched the car and found four large plastic bags containing what was believed to be 3.12 kilograms of ecstasy.

The haul had a street value of approximately $450,000 and the man was charged with supplying a prohibited drug in a commercial quantity.

Both men were refused bail and will appear in court today.

Author: Erik Jensen

Date: June 29, 2007

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Copyright: © 2007. The Sydney Morning Herald.

:peace:

thats a lot of ectasy man, better off the streets i think that way none of our youth can fuck themselves up. but then again i'm not a pill popper so my views are biased, each to thier own. as for the grower, 276 plants in an apartment complex is bound to bring about susspition. makes me wonder how long he had them going for? and what sort of sophisticated grow set up he had? was he stealing power? and who knew about it?

Leave ecstacy alone it's another drug people are grossly misinformed about. The only thing that makes it the slightest bit dodgey is the fact the pills arn't regulated and can be adulterated.

Pure MDMA was legal for a long time after its discovery isn't addictive and was used to treat things like post traumatic stress.

Your statement about it fucking our youth up is just what everyone else says about marijuana. Have a look into it before bagging it i'd recommend "ecstacy rising" a really good unbiased doco on MDMA.

Legalise ecstacy and marijuana

but then again i'm not a pill popper so my views are biased, each to thier own.

Nice save, ha ha.

But yer its the same with pot, there is alot of lies and misinformation on extacy, and me personally, i would love to see it legally available.

But i also want alcohol made illegal again. But hey, what does this pothead know. :peace:

Depends which way you look at it.... thats alot of mdma... alot of mdma pills that wont b hitting the street.... im sure 3kg of mdma would b pretty hard to come by... how are they going to fill this gap in market... make some shitty pills with no mdma but a few other shitty chems that really are harmful.

IMO alchol is a worse drug by far.

Leave ecstacy alone it's another drug people are grossly misinformed about. The only thing that makes it the slightest bit dodgey is the fact the pills arn't regulated and can be adulterated.

Pure MDMA was legal for a long time after its discovery isn't addictive and was used to treat things like post traumatic stress.

Your statement about it fucking our youth up is just what everyone else says about marijuana. Have a look into it before bagging it i'd recommend "ecstacy rising" a really good unbiased doco on MDMA.

Legalise ecstacy and marijuana

hey sorry, but i am not bagging mdma, i am more having a go at the pills that you buy in the clubs from someone you do not even know! then putting all your trust in someone who says "go on take it, it'll be alright"

i am fully aware of the uses of PURE mdma and have even partaken in using mdma.

http://www.abc.net.au/quantum/poison/ecstasy/ecstasy.htm

this is more what i was talking about

Amphetamines, such as "speed", are stimulants that speed up activity in the nervous system. Hallucinogens, such as LSD, typically affect perception and can cause things to appear distorted or things that don't exist to be seen or heard.

Ecstasy is illegal in Australia, and its ingredients are often hard to obtain. Therefore, manufacturers may substitute a wide range of substances when making the drug." It is possible that when you buy ecstasy it will contain little MDMA."

so if there is little mdma in these eccy tabs what is in them and how do you know?

Like other illegally manufactured drugs, such as speed, there are no controls on factors such as the strength and hygiene of the drug. This increases the chances of a person overdosing, being poisoned or experiencing other adverse reactions after taking the drug.

In Australia ecstasy is often mixed with a variety of different drugs, often making it difficult for users to know what they are taking.

Ecstasy is not always what it seems. Because ecstasy is illegal and often produced in makeshift laboratories, it is impossible to know exactly what chemicals were used to produce it and where it came from. How strong or dangerous any illegal drug is varies each time.

In Australia, street ecstasy can contain more than just MDMA. It is often mixed with a variety of different drugs and substances including:

ketamine (animal anaesthetic)

GHB (anaesthetic)

piperonyl butoxide (insecticide)

xayalzine (sedative/muscle relaxant)

carbyl (pesticide)

heroin

amphetamines

morphine

LSD

caffeine

ephedrine

cocaine

PMA (synthetic amphetamine)

DXM (cough syrup)

and other drugs that have similar effects to MDMA such as MDA, MDEA, MDM, MBDB and MMDA

Many of these substances can have serious side-effects as they are not designed for human consumption.

Often drugs containing no MDMA at all are sold as ecstasy.

http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/article.asp?ContentID=ecstasy

so the same goes for speed too you never know what you are buying, i am 37 dude and have well and truly been around the traps hey, i have seen many lives wrecked by speed and heroin and tablet abuse. what you do as an adult is your own business, but if you are going to use one or more of these drugs at least know where it is coming from and have an idea of the potency of the substance of choice.