I don't think we should be pushing for polititions to be drug tested. By this we are admitting to the false propaganda that people who use drugs can't be responsible members of society. The quality of the decisions our polititions make depend on a lot of factors, but one of the least important would be their drug use. Therefore I would consider it an unjustifiable invasion of privacy for them to be tested.

As for testing in other jobs my feeling is its a joke. A sober idiot is much more dangerous than someone who is high that knos what he is doing. Its something that companies do to cover their arses legally and also to satisfy the strict requirements of insurance policies, which obviously have written into them as many conditions as possible so that they can try to weasel out of a potential payout. :peace:

anyone who says that we should hold politicians to a standard we don't believe should be enforced upon ourself is a hypocrite

hear, hear.

Yes, I DO want my bus driver tested... many lives in his/her hands. But people who drive a desk don't (normally) run people over with them or drive them off a bridge with 50 passengers.

Drug testing politicians is nothing more than a political stunt. Any pollie who promotes (or agrees to participate in) drug tests for pols is a disingenuous wanker. Fred Nile would have female pols gynaecological records entered into Hansard if he bloody well could.

One of the biggest problems with cannabis testing is that it often only measures metabolites, indicative of past use, but not of acute cannabis intoxication. They can tell if you smoked last weekend or even this morning but can't say if you're stoned right now.

Common OTC drugs like ibuprofen and naproxen sodium can create false positives for cannabis metabolite tests, too.

I'm one of those folks who thinks the law ought to stop at your skin, except in extreme cases where a person's lack of sobriety can kill others.

Edited by Al B. Fuct

I don't think we should be pushing for polititions to be drug tested. By this we are admitting to the false propaganda that people who use drugs can't be responsible members of society. The quality of the decisions our polititions make depend on a lot of factors, but one of the least important would be their drug use. Therefore I would consider it an unjustifiable invasion of privacy for them to be tested.

As for testing in other jobs my feeling is its a joke. A sober idiot is much more dangerous than someone who is high that knos what he is doing. Its something that companies do to cover their arses legally and also to satisfy the strict requirements of insurance policies, which obviously have written into them as many conditions as possible so that they can try to weasel out of a potential payout. :peace:

:peace: I couldn't have said it any better pipeman.

Totally agree with pipe's second paragraph. That's exactly why a lot of companies drug test their employee's.

But i gotta admit, it is a real eye-opener to me that people are prepared to throw cannabis onto the basket right along side H, meth, etc...

To me, cannabis should be in a low-risk class of it's own, like it is in some other countries.

Your right Ruen, i am a hypocrite. :peace:

But i gotta admit, it is a real eye-opener to me that people are prepared to throw cannabis onto the basket right along side H, meth, etc...

"Drug Free Australia" is a gang of bloody-minded, evidence-proof zero-tolerance ideologues who do JUST this, class pot with heroin and meth, every damn day of the week- and they get paid well to do it. DFA got a $600K grant this year to be wrong.

DFA is the source for false and misleading news items about cannabis like I talk about in this thread.

The UNODC has been under heavy pressure from the Bush regime to make cannabis sound worse. Antonio Maria Costa has been busted claiming pot is the same as heroin for the last couple of years as well as making the outrageous assertion that cannabis smokers support terrorism... clearly no one has told Costa that in the last 10 years or so, most cannabis is now grown (by you & I) in the country where it's consumed...

Consider your eyes well and truly opened!

Cheers Al, it's no secret about the prohibitionist mobs like DFA that you pointed out. There's always going to be those hysterical clowns around unfortunately.

What i was reffering to is other apparent stoners. I didn't know a number of other stoners are prepared to throw cannabis into the same basket along side H, meth, etc...

That's the eye opener to me. :peace:

I personally feel that we should either drug test everybody or nobody. how can you say that you beliefs that recreational use of drugs isn't dangerous yet support the idea that you're law makers must all submit to drug tests out of fear that it will stop them being able to do their jobs properly.

Indy car if you believe people can responsibly take drugs recreationally why do you think that mp's cant? because submiting mp's to drug test clearly states that you believe that it impares their ability to carry out their job. Do MP's magicly get affected worse by drugs then the rest of the population, indycar?

I'd also like to know your opinion indycar on this situation.

Say i as someone who strongly disagrees with the concept of prohibition went to a protest such as mardigrass, whilst there i ran into a politician who was there to take an active interest in something that many Australian voters believe, in this case cannabis law reform. If i said to that politician that he had always been lied to about cannabis by his government and that smoking marijuana is not the same as taking any other schedule 2 drug. then i followed up with that by if you don't believe me try some of he spliff I'm rolling. He question the status quo as any scientific mind would and decided that just this once he would see what all these people who have been writing to him about cannabis law reform are talking about. then the next day flies back to canberra and is drug tested, strikes a positive, and is impeached for his democratically elected position for smoking once. Is this just?

because supporting MP's being drug tested is supporting my friend the MP being impeached and jailed for breach of the controlled substances act.

Edited by Ruen