Can Fan, LOUDer than expected....

Omg its loud. Im thinking of taking it back because its so loud. What are some quiet models, or are they all gonna be gushing pretty good. Its a Can Fan 4' 178 cfm rating.

Can i totally wrap the fan in towels or will there be a fire danger near the box with wires. Im thinking of just totally encasing the thing in towels and leaving in the box it came in. Sound good?

Also what brands are really quiet....or do most people have to insulate and muffle the sounds no matter what. Maybe people can share their experience with these brands availabe at my local stores. Elicet, Can fan, Vortex

Edited by yota

hey there

i have made a cheap silencer by using a foam box i got from the green grocer this was for a noicey old 200mm ceiling fan i wanted to use for an intake fan.

all i did was make a hole in the back fit ya ducting to it mount ya fan inside and then cut hole for intake and cover with stockings. Now a mate of mine has almost the same thing with an inline fan like i think you are talking about he has put insulation inside and has made it pretty dam quiet

my main fan is a 200mm allvent inline fan and it works great and no noice can be heard at all really top fans

im a big fan of there fans :D

cheerz :Dj:

Get a length of acoustic ducting to go on the out end of the fan, a meter or so makes a huge difference to sound. Make sure it's acoustic, not just insulated, (the difference is the holes in the inner duct)....

A small piece, (say 500-750mm) of acoustic taped around the fan itself can help too. But yeah, foam, blankets, anything really, but to get rid of the airflow sound acoustic duct wins hands down for my $.

Seen people use small (100l or so) plastic barrels stuffed with house insulation before too... Anything that drops vibration, drops noise.

Hanging the fan by something like irrigation tubing (2 loops around the flanges) with good wire or chain running through is a good idea I've seen used to great effect. Compared to being on a hard surface it's significant by itself, although the actual airflow is what's likely causing most of the noise.

There's some very quiet centrifugals coming down in price recently. They are not quite as inexpensive as axials but they can make some good pressure downline, good if you have a long exhaust duct, have some 90 bends, are using flexiduct or are pushing air into a carbon filter.

I picked up a Spectrum Hygrow C250L not long back. 250mm, low flow/quiet version, 250W motor. Inaudible from 2m away with at least a metre of exhaust duct fitted.

There is a C250H with a 480W motor but it's much whooshier. It'd suck start a Harley, tho. :peace:

I have the same Spectrum 250L and a Max Can Fan. The Spectrum is definately quieter but moves a lot less air while consuming ~ the same wattage. Both are great products and I'm very happy with them. Went to great length to insulate the noise, running full power they are audible but turned down it ain't that bad.