Carbon Filter set up........

Can i place my carbon filter on the outside of the growspace's exhaust fan? I hear that u should put it inside the grow room so air comes through the filter. But can i have it outside so air push's out of the filter? Thats a lot of air moving fast, but it would make things a lot easier for me. Any help appreciated.

hey there yota

yeah ya can use it either way it dont matter if it is sucked through or pushed throgh it still works the same just make sure if ya gonna push it through that you use a good centrafugal fan these work alot better under pressure than ya normal inline fans

cheerz :Dj:

hey there yota

yeah ya can use it either way it dont matter if it is sucked through or pushed throgh it still works the same just make sure if ya gonna push it through that you use a good centrafugal fan these work alot better under pressure than ya normal inline fans

cheerz :Dj:

Thanks dude...also, my fan is old but moves a lot of air. IF the fan is under pressure, what is the worst that can happen? Can a fire result? Or will the fan just die? Does a filter cause a lot of pressure? Safety is my number one concern, any help appreciated. Thanks

ive had a fan get some tape trapped in the blades

and it burnt out beyond repair

a fire may happen ud be unlucky though imo

all the best and can u get us any pics

sounds an interesting space saving idea

bil

So the first pic is the outside of the space. Filter is sitting in a bin so all air can get out. My space is 4x4. The fan says: 115/120V, 60Hz, 0.7 amps, 50 CFM 2.

After reading it more carefully, looks to be a bathroom exhaust fan. I hope this will be fine.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9364/62107003xj8.th.jpg

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8186/62107004zf2.th.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5575/62107008wm3.th.jpg

Edited by yota

that's an axial fan, probably nowehere near enough strength. If that filter is anything larger than a 150x300 it's not going to be good enough.

You need a centrifugal fan, or at least a good quality inline axial. (can't be a bathroom type and needs to be oversized for application.)

Sorry dude, you'll probably wear out the fan and you also won't have shit airflow compared to what it could do unhindered.

That and the duct bends will be dropping strength significantly too. Try and minimise and keep them as short and as taut as possible to improve airflow, but I still think you need to invest in a good cent fan, particularly if you think you'll be expanding anytime in the future.

You can't have too much ventilation, unless you use a jet engine. You can easily have too little though, and it can cause all kinds of problems.

Hope that helps, and sorry to sound like a bummer, but you're going to have to spend a couple of hundred bucks on a quality centrifugal exhaust.

that's an axial fan, probably nowehere near enough strength. If that filter is anything larger than a 150x300 it's not going to be good enough.

You need a centrifugal fan, or at least a good quality inline axial. (can't be a bathroom type and needs to be oversized for application.)

Sorry dude, you'll probably wear out the fan and you also won't have shit airflow compared to what it could do unhindered.

That and the duct bends will be dropping strength significantly too. Try and minimise and keep them as short and as taut as possible to improve airflow, but I still think you need to invest in a good cent fan, particularly if you think you'll be expanding anytime in the future.

You can't have too much ventilation, unless you use a jet engine. You can easily have too little though, and it can cause all kinds of problems.

Hope that helps, and sorry to sound like a bummer, but you're going to have to spend a couple of hundred bucks on a quality centrifugal exhaust.

I appreciate the honesty, i do need a new fan, i wont deny that. But do you see anything thats of immediate fire danger? I need to save to get the centrifugal fan.

hey

well that fan probably isnt gunna do much

with all the ductin ya got

tbh i cant see it pushin any air threw that filter

odour control is vital to a stealth grow man

get saving and get that centrifugal mate

all the best

bil

hope no fire,some have a cut off wen they reach a temp i think

the fan looks rather weak, but there is a lot of air coming out the end. The filter did slow it down a good bit though.

The fire risk comes from overloading a fan that isn't designed to work against pressure. I've seen the effects of this before. It might run fine for a long time, bt it may not too, so it's definitely worth getting the better fan.

Bathroom fans, unless specifically stated, are not meant for continuous use either, which is what you'll be using it for.

Can you feel flow coming through the outside of the filter?