Grow spot

Hey guys, Although its early I'm thinking about where I'm gunna grow. I have found some places in some bush but Im not sure if they will get enough sun. The area of bush is sort of a rainforest cos its near a creek so there are ferns growing etc. I've read that mj should get atleast 5 hrs of direct sunlight a day and they wouldn't get that now in winter because of a lower sun and I'm not sure about summer.

A few pics would probably help which ill get in a while.

Would I probably just get a lackluster lanky plant and should I find somewhere new or not worry too much n put some beans in the dirt when the times right.

:peace:

Rather than rainforest type locations .. I'd try and find something more like open scrub type of land ..

5 hrs is enough if the sunlight isn't too scattered or diffused .. but in a forest it generally is .. :peace:

Either way its far from optimum .. the yield and quality will be affected ..

I've tried growing shaded plants a few times in similar situations and they've never responded very well .. especially when It's hard to tend to them regularly .. :xcited:

Anyway yeh .. find a good patch of scrub outta the way .. like where Lantana and long weedy grasses grow etc .. so they will still be disguised but have nearly all day sun .. and noone really like going into scrub :whistle: whereas a rainforest is a pleasant place to explore :peace:

So thats my advice .. also try and prepare the soil as best as possible before you situate the plant there ..

If It's got enough goodness there to start with it will be much less effort to keep healthy in the long run :toke:

Anyway .. I know your just planning ahead (very good) .. But Happy growing to ya anyway and if ya have any other Questions like about preparing the soil or whatever .. there is a wealth of info around here and plenty of knowledgable peepz who don't mind answerin a Q or 2 :yahoo:

Cheerz and Enjoy :sly:

Budman :thumbsup:

Would I probably just get a lackluster lanky plant and should I find somewhere new or not worry too much n put some beans in the dirt when the times right.

Definitely. I grew a few in semi-shade this last season and although they grew big and healthy, they were well down on weight compared to those out in the open. So much so that one 8footer got mulched instead of harvested :peace:

Another thing I learnt last season was not to start to early, I'm on the Fraser Coast and won't starting any outside until at least mid-late October. This would be different in North Qld ofc :peace:

Sorry WDC, but I can't agree with cuttin down trees to make room for mullies, besides it sounds like too much work, digging holes is bad enough :freak:

Best of luck s4l :)

Cheers for the replies guys :) , I ill find somewhere else but check back on the original spot in summer to see how much sun its getting.

I took a saw last time but it was alot of effort to make any real progress :freak:

Anyway yeh .. find a good patch of scrub outta the way .. like where Lantana and long weedy grasses grow etc .. so they will still be disguised but have nearly all day sun .. and noone really like going into scrub cool.gif whereas a rainforest is a pleasant place to explore wink.gif

I might just know a place like that. Now to wait for the rain to piss off.

Just by following wallaby trails I happened upon a bit of a sparse patch of bush that had been flattened by the recent storms. It seems to be perfect, quite isolated except from the eyes in the sky. Any ideas on reducing that problem?

Just by following wallaby trails I happened upon a bit of a sparse patch of bush that had been flattened by the recent storms. It seems to be perfect, quite isolated except from the eyes in the sky. Any ideas on reducing that problem?

Sounds good :toke: just don't grow too many in one patch and definitely don't plant them in rows or blocks or other easily recognised patterns :peace: Only clear as much scrub as you need, cause the more you clear the more obvious they'll be :)

Tipping or tying em down a bit keeps them squatter and bushier, so they look less like mj and more like surrounding shrubs.

If coppers are hiring choppers to look for crops they'll be after something more substantial than a few plants, they've gotta justify the expense of chopper hire etc. :freak:

You might have to protect your young plants from those wallabies too, although we have hordes of em here and they haven't touched any of our mullies in the 2 yrs we've been here.

Once you've settled on a spot it's a good idea to dig in some dolomite lime, compost/manure (even roadkill if you're keen :peace: ) that way the soil will be rich with nutrients and full of life by the time you grow there in spring.

Good luck with it s4l, remember that all this searching and preparing is well worth the effort once you're growing in a nice secure spot come summer time. :)

Ahk, yeah I think there are quite a few wallabies, I heard some and saw a few. What could I use to keep them away? Piss, dog crap, meat?

I'll prepare the site soon aswell, got some nice compost n horseshit thats been sitting around for ages.

If you take any organic matter into or close to a rainforrest (or any wild bush) make sure you lay it thin on a piece of tarp and then put another tarp over the top and bake the crap out of it in the sun to stop imported plants from getting into the environment.

I would suggest keeping your organic material for your home garden and preparing the soil by other means. More work but better for the environment.

Preparing the soil by other means? Do you mean using non organic fertilisers?

Also another question, I have used the search function btw, Will the plants be as successful if I plant the seeds at the site in the soil or should I grow in pots then transplant. The latter option is alot harder, transporting them is a problem. What is the general consensus?