Does coco need special coco nutes?

G'day stoners!

Just a quick question. If you use coco as a growing medium, do you need to buy specific coco nutes to use in it? Because I already have some Canna Substra nutes (the ones sold at Bunnings), and I'd like to use them if I can, rather than spending heaps on new nutes.

Or would I be better off just spending the money and getting the coco ones?

Cheers for any advice.

Peace!

For the love of god don't buy your nutes @ bunnings, you'll pay through the nose and quite liable to come out of the shop with only one half of the formula... (they sell A and B separately)

But yeah, generally, you're better off with a coco specific, but a normal hydroponic nutrient would be okay for most purposes. Make sure you watch the e.c. and pH levels, and like bufo said, take it easy on the stuff.

coco absorbs alot of magnesium and calcium from the nutrient holding out on the plant :thumbsup: if you dont use coco specific nutrients you run the risk of those nutrients being totally locked out to the plant which can cause all kinds of bullshit issues you dont even want to think about :whistle:

you can use your current nutrient, but i would recommend adding some epsom salt and calcium from some source wether an additive, egg shells, etc. to your water before giving it to the plants. that will ensure that those nutes dont get locked out, but in reality you'd be FAR better off spending another $25 at the hydro store to get coco specific nutrients :xcited:

Hmm I guess I'll probably just buy some coco-specific nutes to try avoid any potential dramas using my others.

Does anyone recommend a brand? The Canna coco stuff doesn't seem to have a separate flowering nute, would this be a problem? My Dutch Master coco bricks recommend using DM Advance, but the DM site doesn't say they are coco specific...

Also, can anyone please recommend any other additives or anything for plant protection etc etc?? I want to make up a shopping list of stuff I need to go and buy. I already have some Dutch Master Potash but that's about it. Maybe some Superthrive or something? Any recommendations for products to buy for 60/40 coco/perlite are welcome.

And Luke, yeah I wouldn't buy nutes from Bunnings again, but I bought them a long time ago before I had ever been in a hydro shop. But I am surprised at the range of hydro supplies that Bunnings do sell and some stuff is cheaper than hydro shops (for example my cloning chamber which was $38 at Bunnings, and the exact same thing was $80 at the hydro shop!).

Cheers guys. Peace!

Dutchmaster Advance is fine to use with coco ,i've been using it now for the past 2 months in my flood and drain tables using a soiless mix medium [40%coco coir 40%perlite 10% hydrotron 10% worm castings] .I would add DM Max and DM Silica also get some DM Folitech and use it with DM Penetrator .All of these products work very well ,growth rates have been amazing .Cheers Ozdaz

im starting to like the DM range specially the foliar range. Does anybody know if DM is related to advance nute seems there putting simular products out at about the same time

in recent months theve been giving away alot of samples, Liquid light, penetrator, gold nute grow and bloom... could just about do a grow on the samples ive collected..

My first grows in coco i used cannas recirc nute without problems but have since switched to the coco nute being cheeper (only A/:applause: not a grow and bloom A/B and it doesnt seem to build up as much in the soil or drippers..

Canna coco nute A.B

Rhizotonic

canna zym

hygen budlink

Has given me good results easily and consistantly

I am real happy to have just found this place. I usually use the Cannabis Culture forums (I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying that!), but could find no info on my problem so I googled "coir locking out magnesium" and here I am.

hello!

I have a couple questions that I hope someone here is able to answer...

What about adding 2 teaspoon dolomite lime per gallon of coir/perlite mix, and then adding x-tra Mg to the solution? (Our water has plenty of Ca, though I wouldn't call it hard water)

Also, does time have any effect on the nute-lockout properties of the coir? I re-use my coir, at this point unsure of how long to keep using it, I rinse it after harvest, but I'm sure it doesn't rinse completely clean, and so I wonder if Ca and Mg build up in the coir over time...?

thanks so much for your help. I'm going to have to look around here for a little while and see what other great info lurks...

PEACE!