Random drug testing an 'invasion of privacy'

A senior Victorian civil libertarian says random roadside drug testing has invaded people's right to privacy with no impact on the road toll.

Liberty Victoria spokesman Brian Walters SC warns Queensland motorists they risk returning false positive results for illegal drugs when random roadside testing is introduced.

The Queensland Government has announced a further delay to the introduction of testing because of concerns about accuracy.

Mr Walters says Victoria has had random drug testing for two years and the Victorian Government still cannot get it right.

"At this stage it has proven itself to be inaccurate and until it's demonstrated that this can be done effectively there isn't any point in proceeding with it," he said.

"Driving is not a human right. On the other hand, invasion of people's privacy should only be done when it can clearly be justified as something that will lead to greater road safety, and not as something which is part of a different agenda - that is a zero tolerance of drugs agenda."

Author: ABC News Online

Date: 1st June 2007

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200706/s1939700.htm

Copyright: 2007 ABC

Good to hear this sound, rational argument from a non-cannabis lobby group. :toke:

"Driving is not a human right. On the other hand, invasion of people's privacy should only be done when it can clearly be justified as something that will lead to greater road safety, and not as something which is part of a different agenda - that is a zero tolerance of drugs agenda."

Yeah, I've noticed the ABC is slowly starting to get more of a realistic view on the "war on drugs" lately :toke:

Do you think its because labor will be leading the country in December and johny howard is losing control of his americanised propaganda machine known as the liberal party :toke: :freak:

Edited by jabez

Sing halleluja,about time cliche etc the anti-canna-nazties will just ignore as they are control FREAKS and are sickos :toke: :toke:

:freak: is that the old Jess or the new one????

Wait up i know the testing for pot is a shame as I feel pot makes you a more nervous driver but I would hate to see this argument of invasion of privacy used for those drugs that do affect your driving like alcohol !!!

What i would like to see is the driving ability of a 1000 participants rated under the influence of different drugs at different levels of influence and then the driving tests they do set to measure over the mid way mark towards where the tests show that it affects your driving on average.

I know its a limiting attitude to have especially on here but if they can prove that heavily stoned ppl have more chance of causing others harm then I would have no worries about limiting myself before i drive just as i do with alcohol (As long as the testing and levels are done honestly and openly!!!)

:peace: maybe 2 cones an hour hehe imagine the advertising campaign

:toke: is that the old Jess or the new one????

Wait up i know the testing for pot is a shame as I feel pot makes you a more nervous driver but I would hate to see this argument of invasion of privacy used for those drugs that do affect your driving like alcohol !!!

What i would like to see is the driving ability of a 1000 participants rated under the influence of different drugs at different levels of influence and then the driving tests they do set to measure over the mid way mark towards where the tests show that it affects your driving on average.

I know its a limiting attitude to have especially on here but if they can prove that heavily stoned ppl have more chance of causing others harm then I would have no worries about limiting myself before i drive just as i do with alcohol (As long as the testing and levels are done honestly and openly!!!)

:toke: maybe 2 cones an hour hehe imagine the advertising campaign

There are little doubts about either the accuracy of alcohol testing or the amount of impairment by blood alcohol level (for the average person at least), if the testing and impairment for other drugs could be shown to be as accurate, I would have no problem with testing for any drug.

It's still interesting that no state is testing for impairment levels for prescription drugs, apparently if you're wasted on tranquilizers or pain killers you're even less dangerous than someone who's smoked cannabis or drunk alcohol.

blink.gif is that the old Jess or the new one????

It must be the new one. This is kind of spooky. Anyone got a wooden stake,crucifix and a hammer?

Welcome back Jess.

I've noticed the ABC is slowly starting to get more of a realistic view on the "war on drugs" lately

You could be right Jabez. The ABC was very anti cannabis a couple of years ago; I remember seeing a shocking 4 corners show that was some of the worst propaganda I've seen. Maybe they're doing some proper research these days like real journalists should.

Howard isn't gone yet. He is a cunning politician and it will take all the forces of good to get rid of him (wooden stake,hammer, crucifix and a good priest).

I don't smoke and drive but i do worry about the accuracy of drug tests , particularly the potential to register a positive the morning after the night before. The hemp embassy did some recent tests and they were hopelessly inaccurate.

i drive when im SMASHED around the suburbs and still haven't heard about anyone getting tested.

i don't get as paranoid when im in my car smasshed because i know if a coppa pulls me over i can just initiate the chase and most cops around here give up when the speeds go passed 200k's or somesshit :toke:

but in all seriousness, i find im more lax when i drive stoned and im not tryna change lanes like rick james to get an extra couple of seconds off my personal best.

p.s if i could take a horse to work i would.

An interesting thing i noticed happening at my work is the "EyeCheck" drug testing machine. They claim it can determine if your under the influence of "anything", including prescription medications and over the counter. If you fail on the eyecheck device your are then sent for a urine test as they do not know the drug you tested positive for until then.

I was speaking to the dude talking about it and he reckons you can usually pass for cannabis 10hr's after consumption, so as long as i have early nights i hope to be right. I will post some more info when i get tested :toke:

I also hit him up about some articles i found about how it usually returns false positives on people over 50 or pregnant women. He said that was relatively true however for almost everything else he said it came in at about 97 percent success rate, ranting something about a 3 piece bell curve. Be fucked if i knew what that meant but anyways.

Personally I believe (and people who drive with me agree) that I drive best when I'm stoned. It clears my mind so I can just concentrate on the driving, and it gives me that little bit of paranoia to give me an edge and perfectly aware of what I'm doing on the road.